Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this one set of them that i purchased a long while back made by Kastar and they're tapered which works well for me:I'd rather adjust the valves w/o removing the tank if I can get away with it and the tapered/narrow type of feeler gauge 'leaves' are better.I use .002 & .003in. the most and this .002 is almost broken.I'd like to get/find some like this pic. This set is riveted but really need it w/ a removeable thumb screw;individual narrow 'leaves' would be terrific..

DSCN2392.JPG

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the BikeMaster Feeler Gauge Set off of Amazon. I'm not sure how durable the lettering on them is (not engraved, just painted/printed), but they were perfectly serviceable.
I noticed that brand recently;I wonder if they could be lightly 'etched' w/ a scribe?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think they could be, although I wonder if any raised surfaces would keep the gauges from sliding against each other when trying to line them up to put away.
I have this Craftsman electric engraver tool that I bought a few decades ago that I've used on tools/engine parts before at the present' mid-point' setting but I could turn the power way down toward '1' and try it on a broken feeler gauge first to test it.

DSCN2395.JPG DSCN2397.JPG

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I tested it on an old broken .002in. feeler gauge on the 1.5 and then the 1(lowest) setting and as I practiced I was able to make it just legible and really not deform the feeler gauge too much when using it on the lowest(1) setting;factory scribe marks would probably be better,although I think I'll keep practicing. ;) as you can see to the far left,I'm getting better on going very lightly
I'll do this on a few single .002 & .003 in. long feeler gauges I have that I use regularly down the end that I hold onto.

DSCN2398.JPG DSCN2399.JPG

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I bought the BikeMaster Feeler Gauge Set off of Amazon. I'm not sure how durable the lettering on them is (not engraved, just painted/printed), but they were perfectly serviceable.
I did just buy a set of them on your recommend,they are excellent. I also bought a set of these:a 14 pk. of separate leaves(1/4" x 4") from .002-.015 in. Kastar brand and are now distributed by Lang Tools.Made in USA. Feeler gauges are very important to get a good tune-up.

DSCN2401.JPG DSCN2402.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Those look good. I'm always trying to think of an easy way to attach a small piece of feeler to a heavier strip of steel. I had one I bought like that but it broke where the feeler was bent. It made it so much easier to reach and slide it into tight spots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts