Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a high comp motor and was wondering who makes a good high performance Cam chain

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Always helps to mention what bike you're working on. the best cam chain for your engine, regardless of how the bike is used, is this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361472845175

no one makes a high-performance cam chain as far as I know. I drag raced a Honda 450 for the better part of 3 years back in the day and used a new, stock DID chain from Honda, same as above, with no issues and never had to replace it. oh, and you won't find it any cheaper either, he has the best price we've found

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Tsubaki used to make racing chains for the CB450 but I don't think they do anymore.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gotta agree on both points, Honda DID cam chain was preferred by racers back in the day & these chains on ebay are good & great price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ordered one of these chains the other day from Frank and now I have a related question. Have CB450 K owner's experienced an after market cylinder head gasket to work o.k. or is it safer to use a genuine Honda gasket?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm not sure how you'll find a genuine Honda head gasket for a CB450 at this point, I don't know of anyone selling OEM gaskets for them. I've used both Vesrah and NE brand gaskets for my engine and both seem to be good quality, no leaks when used properly. They're both available from 4into1.com

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
All surfaces completely clean and free of any previous gasket material or debris, checked for flatness with no gouges and/or excessive scratches or low spots, and assembled dry with no sealer for the most part. That last portion is a highly-debated topic around here, because I like to use a very small amount of silicone-based sealer on certain areas based on my past experiences at Honda shops, but the masses here will tell you to never use any... the reason being, most over-use any sealer (usually RTV) and we all know how sensitive the oil passages can be on these engines to becoming blocked by loose sealer getting away from the surface it was used on when used in excess. I recently had to re-do the head gasket on my 450 because I listened to the opinions here and overrode my own past, personal experience and put the top end together the first time with a dry head gasket... it weeped oil near the front of the cam chain tunnel after about 600 miles, so while the bike was completely apart for frame repair and the head gasket situation, I used a small, thin film of black silicone sealer on the entire perimeter of the head gasket and now all is well - but if you do use anything, use it sparingly

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks again Tom, I've decided by reading your comments that it's best to buy an NE gasket set from David Silver as it's more economical and as you say you have had no problems with the brand.
Earlier I wrote that my head gasket question was related to the cam chain post, this was because when I first got my bike it was difficult to start, ran lumpy and wouldn't tick over. I've set everything up and now it runs pretty well but when I was trying to align the timing marks on the cams I could never get them to align properly, both were always out, so I compensated with the inlet being a little early and the exhaust being a little late, I think? I put this down to the chain being stretched so after reading up on this site I've ordered the correct chain. The bike has done 21K miles and I don't think the engine has ever been apart? Oh yeah and I've fixed the occasional slipping out of second gear into neutral problem as well thanks to this site.
I also had to adjust the ignition timing to the extreme position on the contacts plate to get it to run and I'm not happy with that, now I'm planning to remove the engine next spring, inspect the pistons, bores and rings, the head and replace the cam chain, the latter of which I'm not familiar with, more used to two strokes and rotary engines.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts