Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading on how you can combine the yellow and white alternator wires to get the most out of the charging system. Is this all that is needed? Just loop the two together?

White -Yellow Alternator Mod Honda.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's it. Now you have full charge on low beam as well as high beam. Originally that only happened on Hi

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
That's it. Now you have full charge on low beam as well as high beam. Originally that only happened on Hi
Actually, Honda calls it Day time and Night time. Day time is with the headlight shut off. Night time is running either low or high beam. For the bikes with an off position for the headlight, these wires are disconnected when the headlight is off.
I do not endorse running the alternator in the night time mode for any length of time with the headlight turned off. It will over charge the battery.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Isn't that what the reg/rec is for?
Not back in the day, no. In the 60s and 70s, regulator technology is not what it was today. In order to avoid overtaxing the regulator, the alternator was designed so that it wouldn't output full wattage until the headlight was turned on. This was fairly common in a lot of motorcycles of the day.

With a modern unit, it simplifies the wiring a bit to just keep the alternator operating in full output mode.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the details. I got a common motor rec/reg combo unit last year but never got around to installing it. I plan on doing that this spring. I rarely use the H beam so I guess that means I have never been charging very well but I didn't see any problems.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I'm doing the upgrade now....I was thinking that you needed to splice the wires into one to continue into the harness. That photo looks like they are just connect to each other and don't continue to the harness. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
and eliminates the path up to and through the headlight switch, which used to connect them to raise the alternator output

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drdubb, its still cold here and I haven't gotten the chance to do this mod, if you find the time to take pictures of how you did it, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thanks for the details. I got a common motor rec/reg combo unit last year but never got around to installing it. I plan on doing that this spring. I rarely use the H beam so I guess that means I have never been charging very well but I didn't see any problems.
Just a point of clarification: The yellow and yellow/white wires are bridged when the headlight is on, regardless of whether or not it's high beam or low beam. In North American bikes after 1973, this means you have full charging all the time because the DOT required headlights to be always on. The later wiring is either a throwback to earlier models or designed that way for standardization across multiple markets.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not back in the day, no. In the 60s and 70s, regulator technology is not what it was today. In order to avoid overtaxing the regulator, the alternator was designed so that it wouldn't output full wattage until the headlight was turned on. This was fairly common in a lot of motorcycles of the day.

With a modern unit, it simplifies the wiring a bit to just keep the alternator operating in full output mode.
My bike came without a regulator!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts