Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is mis-labeled, but I'm having a puzzling issue with my stock speedometer. It seems to work fine, but it whines continuously while I'm riding. A few notes:

1. The whining is most noticeable at low speeds, though that could just be the only time it's not drowned out by engine noise.
2. Similarly, I'm only 85% sure it's the speedometer and not the tach. I always ride with a helmet, so there is a margin of error there.
3. It happens at idle, but goes away when I'm in neutral.

Any ideas? Obviously not the biggest problem in the world, just a slight annoyance.

·
Sensei
27,066 Posts
Only the tach cable is spinning when stopped and at idle.....However, shifting to neutral does not stop the tach cable on a CB350.....
IF you are coasting in neutral at idle, the speedo cable is still rotating albeit slowly......but so is the tach cable....
Try lubricating them both......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar issue recently. Someones sage wisdom provided that I remove the tach and place "one drop" of motor oil at the point where the cable enters the gauge being sure to cover the part outside of the female end of the joint. I let it soak in for a few minutes before taking it for a rip on the highway and problem solved!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
If you are going to LUBE Cables - Do it right and completly.

Remove them from the casing.
Wipe them clean with some solvent to remove the old dried up grease.
Give them a light coating of a Moly Type grease not the real thick gooey stuff.

Then re-install the cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts