Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, im new to motorcycles and auto repair in general but i want to be more knowledgeable and start doing repairs on my own. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I started noticing a whining noise coming from the crank case or more or so where the transmission is of my 1974 CB360. When its in neutral its really whining fast but when i change it to first gear it stops until i start moving then the whining noise slowly starts building up and gets faster as i add more throttle. I looked online and the only information i gather was that the bearings on the transmission are damage. Can anyone give me some insight on what other causes it might be. Or any preparation for fixing these bearings? thanks. note i also thought it was the cam chain so i already adjusted that and that didnt seem to do the trick.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Welcome - but if your model of bike isn't in your profile or in your post, it will be difficult for people here to help.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My bike used to whine when I would coast in neutral and I found that my clutch adjustment was just wrong. Could be that your clutch is slightly engaged when it shouldn't be and causing the noise. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My clutch cable did snap off the hinge about a month and a half ago as shown on the picture (1). I tried fixing it my self but whenever i put back together it wasn't getting any traction when i change it into gear. I took it to a shop and they re-adjusted the clutch and told me i placed the bearings (picture 2) wrong. They fixed it but maybe something happened. That might be it so ill check. Thanks. Capture.JPG

·
Registered
554 Posts
Other thought - I’d check the mating surface of your oil slinger where it meets the output on the cover. If the cover gasket was replaced with one thinner than stock, it can press them together too hard and that metal on metal contact can produce a whining/squealing noise that varies with RPM. Ask me how I know :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts