Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of dumb questions
1-how do I shift gears while the engine is on the bench? I want check to make sure I assembled the transmission correctly.
2- The cam chain tensioner is not lining up correctly
IMG_1766.jpg

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
As a general rule, the transmission will shift better/more easily/more completely only if the shafts are rotating while shifting......

Since you will need to crank the engine over to achieve that, let's get that hydraulic timing chain tensioner correctly installed.....

Fully loosen the vertical bolt at the back.... Manually push the hydraulic cylinder back fully into the housing and "fingertip" snug the bolt to retain it .....

Slightly lift the arm and guide wheel upwards while installing the tensioner as per factory manual........

Yes, torquing the head down will help, but once torqued, the head gasket should be replaced IF you need to disassemble at all to further verify your work....

Tensioner goes on last..... Feel free to phone...540-525-5199

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply. in theory that should work. my problem is, the when I lift the swing arm up, there is no real slack in the chain so the hydraulic Cylinder keeps popping off. Ill try to send over a video. I probably did something wrong when assembling the cam, so Ill have to go back and double check. Everything seems right before I installed the cam, so Im assuming thats my problem. Maybe if you are around this weekend we can chat.
Thanks again

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
take a look at the exploded view of the top end at cmsnl.com - if you're not aware of them and others with parts fiches on the internet, it's very handy to look up part numbers or the basic of assembly. here's the cam chain tensioner arrangement (by the way - while the tensioner might look hydraulic, it's really only spring-loaded - but it isn't designed to tension with the spring pressure all the time, only when advancing during adjustment, then you lock it in position as Steve described above)

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350k2-super-sport-1970-usa_model431/partslist/E++06.html#.XGQuPlVKi00

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Beg to differ.... IIRC, the very early models DID have a hydraulic tensioner...
While it was also spring loaded, (again IIRC) there was an orifice and oil passage to behind the plunger....The gasket had a third (oil passage) hole at the bottom
This fische shows both types....
https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsl...-cam-chain-tensioner_big3IMG01175055_eba5.gif

It was quite common to opt to "upgrade" to the later tensioner.....

After all these years, I may be confusing the two types and their operation and installation, so PLEASE refer to the FSM......

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
The oil would drain back out of that hydraulic tensioner, when parked for a while, and the cam chain would be noisy. Loosen the bleed bolt(#15 in the diagram)for a bit to bleed the air out and things would be quiet again. There was a service bulletin about replacing the bleed bolt with another one, having a tiny hole drilled in it to keep the air bled out of the tensioner.

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 9 of 9 Posts