Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here. Currently my '70 CB350 isn't charging the battery. I am following the steps on this site (http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/fault-finding-guide.php), and when I get to part B, I am wondering which wire of the four (red/white, pink, green, yellow) is the switched +12v output? I am guessing it is the pink one... When I hook my multimeter red lead to + terminal on battery, and black lead to the pink terminal, I get volts jumping all around anywhere from +1v to +4v or more and everything in between. Just trying to see if the stator is bad, or if I have some kind of short somewhere. Any help much appreciated!

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Red/white goes to B+,
Green to ground (B-)
pink and yellow wires are AC current into the rectifier

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

when I hook the meter to the battery, at idle I get 12.3VDC. When I rev it to 3K, I get 12.5, and then it drops back down when I let off the throttle. Any ideas? Could it be just the diode? If the stator/RR was shot, wouldn't it not move when I revved the engine?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
By RR I assume you mean regulator/rectifier...They are separate units on the 350...
You are charging, but what is the upper limit?.... It should/can be anywhere between 13.2 and 13.7VDC (read at battery) ....Rev it to about 6000 and see where the voltage tops out...... If it goes over 13.7, your regulator has a problem...If it never gets much over 12.5, we'll have to check the raw AC voltage to determine if it's the rectifier (a bad diode or two) or the stator windings..... Run this test with headlight on as that connects an extra pair of windings .........Phone me if you don't understand.... Steve 540-427-4256

1 - 4 of 4 Posts