Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on picking up a battery Tender for the 360. Again I'm having NO charging problems, except when I didn't ride/start it for a 3 week period of rain we had. I kicked started it at that time, and then have used the electric start sense. I picking-up a Battery Tender this weekend for nightly use and up coming winter storage. Which one would best suit me? (1) Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A, cost about $40.00 or (2)Battery Tender Plus 12V @ 1.25A, cost about $65.00. I have done some reading and I think I have an idea in the direction I should go, but I would like fellow twins guys(and Girls) give thier $0.02.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had the same debate a while ago. I spent the extra$$ and got the plus, and I dont regret it at all

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the Jr. and it does a good job keeping up with both of my Honda's. I have a pigtail on each bike, and just put it on the one I'm not riding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with the JR. Thanks for all the help! I was charged up and on "maintenance status" in a couple hours. Works great so far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but hopefully someone out there is watching :D .

I read in the Clymer's manual that you should only charge at 10% the amp-hour capacity of the battery (i.e. 0.5 amp charger for a 5 amp-hour battery, 1.5 amp charger for a 15 amp-hour battery). Anybody have thoughts on this? Will the Battery Tender Plus @ 1.25 amps hurt a 12 amp-hour battery?

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the record, I did a bit more research on the battery/charger and found out that 2 amps is pretty much the MAXIMUM amperage for small batteries (such as those on a motorcycle). That being said, a 1.25 amp charger will be fine for most motorcycle batteries though checking the batteries tech specs is the best bet. I went with the Battery Tender Pro, just in case I need to use the charger on my car battery. It will take longer to charge than a higher amperage car charger, but will still get the job done over time. Also, it only cost $42 on Amazon which was a pretty good deal so no complaints there.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I was under the impression that the electronic trickle chargers were capable of going to teh maximum rating but generally just kept at a very low charge to stop cooking the plates.
I can't say anything about the Battery Tender, as I have no experience.
In the UK we have the Acumen and Oxford systems, both claim to understand the requirement of the battery and charge it, even recovering batterys that have partly sulphated plates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts