Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old and very nasty chain has 116 links. The drive sprocket has 16 teeth and the final sprocket has 47 teeth.

Also, should the drive sprocket have no play? It acts like the 2 bolts that go thru the fixing plate are loose. Best I can describe is the sprocket has play/wobble on the countershaft.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
By the design of the retention method for Honda front sprockets of the era, the plate and bolts keep the sprocket on the shaft by the plate locking in the machined groove in the splines and the bolts retaining it on the sprocket. It's normal for there to be a little play in the sprocket on the splines themselves. As long as the bolts are tight, the sprocket can't go anywhere and it does not have any lateral force applied to it as long as the sprockets and chain are in normal alignment. I believe your bike uses a 428 chain and you can find a replacement pretty much anywhere like eBay, Amazon, virtually any motorcycle parts supplier or shop

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep you are right. 428-116 is what I need. And yes, there are lots of choices on eBay, Amazon, etc. Of course I couldn't just order the cheapest one I could find. No, now I want to find the cheapest good one I can find. The "good" part is slowing me down from placing an order.;) I understand the reasoning behind O-ring & X-ring chains. In my case, I don't think they are worth the expense. But paying $15 for a chain that will wear out in a few hundred miles (& maybe take a sprocket with it) doesn't make sense to me. No-ring chains can easily be found for between $15 and $24 from Unibear, RK, KMC, JT and DID. Are they any good? In my case, I only dealing with a 175. Not tons of torque. And it would probably take me 2 or 3 years to do 4,000 miles of mostly street riding. Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
In all honesty, the low horsepower of your bike would yield much longer than a few hundred miles from even the most inexpensive motorcycle chain unless you plan to do holeshots and powershifts each and every time you ride it. My Dad built a 175 drag bike (with 200cc 12:1 compression ratio overbore and high-performance cam) and it was run 50 to 60 times over a 2 year period, dropping the clutch at 8000 to 9000 rpm coming out of the hole and powershifting every gear on every run and we used the same chain the entire time. Buy a mid-priced chain from a decent brand and you'll be fine. This one should do you well and it's not too expensive

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D-I-D-DID-428H-X-120-Links-Motorcycle-Drive-Chain-yamaha-honda-D18-429H-120/231369105324?fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3ASL175&epid=171141076&hash=item35deac5fac:m:mYBk6Sw8WGjWPUrEIKSE0-A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts