Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am diving into a my first Honda project, so please forgive my ignorance. I have been working on Triumphs for years but don't hold it against me. Man do they brake a lot and I am looking forward to have a classic that will be reliable.

I have a 67 CB450 that I have had for years. Traded a mountain bike to a friend for it - score! It's rough so I do have my work cut out for me. I found an original front end (with help from this forum - thx). I restore buildings for a living and take a similar tact with motorcycles. As much as possible I would like to get this bike to its former glory.

I need to purchase wear items, brake pads, cables etc. Can any of you share some knowledge where to find these items on the interweb?

Thanks in advance :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
welcome!
Try the following sites....Hondarestoration.com David Silver Spares, Common Motor Collective, Dime City
Ebay can be great but you really have to know what it is you're looking for and how to judge condition.
Also, an original Honda dealership in my area, House Of Honda! They might have gone out of business but I believe they sell on Ebay. Lots of NOS parts.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can add 4into1.com to that good list, but be sure to compare "apples to apples" with respect to the pricing for the same part (not NOS [new old stock] vs reproduction), because the prices can vary quite a bit... be prepared to either just buy it when you find it (if you have the budget to do so) or spend a few hours getting the best price

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Lastly, I caution you with regards to aftermarket or reproduction parts. Many carb. kits are of dubious quality, including some outright awful takes on main jets in which the screw threads are not even a match upon initial inspection. ALWAYS use genuine Honda points and carb. jets. Other parts that are not as critical you can get away with but just be careful because a lot of the aforementioned parts can make troubleshooting a nightmare!

and of course, the main causes for concern with vintage Honda CBs are the weak coils, ignition, and charging system. I got 450 coils from Z1 Enterprises and 4+ years work great! however, you have to fabricate your own mounts for them. Watch your top end condition because cam followers and cams wear...and I shelled out $75 for one NOS cam follower I needed! 450s have 4 of those lovely things. ugh. Companies can refinish yours, if needed but costs get up there quickly and then, where to find the shop that does that kind of work?
Religiously change your oil easily every 1,000 mi. I change mine every 800 mi. to be sure because the motor relies on oil for its lifespan as well as the transmission.

Good luck wit the Bomber! awesome bike for sure but if you're looking to do a period correct restoration....Bomber parts are very pricey and can be rare. please feel free to post pics of you progress and you found a great community here to assist you.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
sorry to post again...def. upgrade the master cylinder and try and source steel brake lines. Despite the advent of the front disc brake being a great upgrade on bikes, it's been decades since they first appeared on 450s and even in perfect shape I would not count on a 450 to stop perfectly today in emergencies. I am thankful I did this because my minor accident would have been a lot worse if I retained the stock master cylinder and outdated rubber brake lines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! Jseconds77 I actually found an original front end and plan to install it. Bike just didn't look right with the disk...

Searching for a good carb rebuild kit as we speak. I have spark and am trying to get it running before breaking down to paint and go through bearings brakes ect..

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I would ask them who makes the carb kits. If memory serves me well, I think the keyster ones
were not very good quality. Have you taken the carb apart. Most parts can be cleaned and would be better than aftermarket.
there may be a sticky on how to clean and rebuild carbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have been taken apart. Only part needed (aside from gaskets) is the needle jet holder is mangled. I will be searching the inter webs - less someone knows of a good source. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
756 Posts
Let me add that you may be surprised at the amount of NOS OEM stuff that is available for old Hondas, although I've only worked on a few later CB450s so I can't verify how much and how far back their stuff goes. But stuff like points, and some carb parts, etc. Go to a Honda dealer with a parts fiche (such as Western Honda in Phoenix -- Western Honda Powerports | Scottsdale Arizona | Honda dealer) and follow the prompts to enter the year and model of your bike and you'll be able to see what's available and at what price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts