Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all thank you to everyone for a great forum, it has helped me a lot so far!
I am doing a complete rebuild of a cb400n 1981, and I am soon ready with the rebuild of the engine, but this one piece I can't seem to find a place for, and I can't find it in any of the parts lifts. Anyone know where it should be mounted?
Hope it is not inside the engine as I have already sealed the cases together.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i pulled the motor apart, i put all the parts i took of in sort of a sequence so i could figure out where they would go on again, and this part was right by all the other internal parts of the motor, and also looked sort of oily, like it had been inside the motor, but there wasn't any obvious place for this to fit, or any extra holes for the bolts, so its kind of a mystery right now?? I sorta remember it from the teardown, but not enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you! Thats it!
I have a feeling it's not the original motor that's on my bike, since this should not be on my model(Just checked, it should be on my model, but the part schematic i was looking at was wrong). But where does it go, on the same side of the motor as the kickstart assembly? Above, below?
Maybe i will find out when i take off my cover on that side tomorrow, actually good timing, as i have just been made aware that i should be using anti-sieze on the bolts holding that cover, so was planning on taking it of anyway :)

EDIT: Found out it goes inside the crankcases. Not exactly what i was hoping for. Oh well, guess first builds are never meant to be easy :)

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I don't have a manual for your specific model but my manual for the 400T shows that part as being outside of the case, you should be able to install it with just the side cover off (at least that's how it looks in the diagram) but may depend on how the entire assembly is put together.

Here is the picture of that assembly and part.

Kicker.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help! I fixed it last night, and luckily it was not inside the case, so it was a quick fix, and also found out my drive ratchet was not lined up with the punchmark on the spindle so everything worked out great :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
yes its the kick start "ramp" for allowing engagement and dis engagement for the k/s drive system, a crucial part for the k/s operation.

You know of cmsnl for the exploded views??

Be carefull about the k/s return spring square "spreader" part with a slot for the springs "foot" into the shaft, if fitted incorrectly the clutch cover will not fit properly and the k/s system jams....

whislt the clutch cover was off did you flush the sump floor, k/s oil trough and clutch basket inner faces on the fingers, or was it a complete engine re assembly job ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts