Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the bike apart now mocking up everything and can’t remember where this plugs in. The single green wire. I know the other plug is the rectifier. 66F82F49-080D-480A-8909-333780A6F050.jpg

Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 78 cb400 t2. Looked up a diagram but the one I got is black and white and little fuzzy. I think green is ground? It is just one though and nothing to plug into it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Does the green have a red stripe? Is that a pig tail off the main harness? Where along the harness does it come out?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Black and white schematic will have an indication of wire colors, unless of course its a black and white photocopy of a color diagram.

The solid green wire is an earth.

An earthed lead will plug into this, it has an eyelet connection on the other end and probably goes to the rear most "electrics "tray"" fastening bolt; that the reg/rec etc is fastened to.

Be aware that the electrics tray metal work is rubber mounted and effectively insulated from earth by the rubbers and tubes.

I cannot zoom into the picture so cannot be fully aware of stuff shown, the flasher unit looks square, not round?? ??

It looks round in the top picture but whats the square part in the bottom picture?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is flasher relay. Says right on it. I will post a pic later.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
01DC137B-8978-4E32-82BA-6020CB0572BD.jpg 0A72F72D-4CCE-427E-BB1A-37C8F92FACED.jpg Ok, I think I have an idea. It comes out right next to the wires for turn signal flasher relay and it is green it has to be ground for the rear either turn signal or tail light.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Again i cannot zoom in to the pic, but can see the reg/rec black box fins, and, the diode ( rectifier, 2 pin white plastic junction box ) for starter motor enable/dis enable, and, part of the electrics metal mounting tray....could you please post a side view of that side of the bike so the reg/rec etc can be seen along with the metal electrics tray, just to be sure.....

Useful schematic, had a quick scan ( again I cannot zoom in ) and could only find one earth green eyelet connection, below and to the right of the cdi unit. If correct, then this is the main earth for the electrics loom, other than the heavy black starter motor earth cable direct from the battery earth side to the frame, so the frame becomes "earth".

The other lights etc have a dedicated earth wire, an insulated earth return, or seem insulated earth return as the green main earth wire dioes not go direct to the battery earth.

The green wire in your pictures, is a a relatively heavy thick wire ??

You will be aware that tjhe green earth wires "join" inside the loom.

I would run 2 dedicated extra earth wires up to the headlight unit area and plum them into the existing green wire earth system.

One either side of the head stock from say the cdi bolt and coil bolt, to inside the headlamp shell earth points/wires.

You could even run a dedicated earth wire to the rear lights area as well and plum that into the green wire earth system back there.

Remember that the green earth wire eventually carries the full electrical load from the lights etc.., when it joins/connects to the frame.

Study the wiring diagram and satisfy your self about the earth system.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I believe that green wire is an 'extra' that is used on some European models that use a three wire flasher unit.

Here is a color wiring diagram from a T1 (has no electric starter circuit) that may help you sort out the basic wiring....

Hondawiring.jpg

Reactions: danno

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I believe it is an extra ground wire. There is nothing else I can find on the bike or schematic.
Thank you for all your help. Will try to start soon and will find out. :)

Here are the pics of only other wires not connected are for rear brake light switch.
5B1F7EC3-C024-43B7-B553-1A4457C56ACD.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
CF5FB5CD-9C45-44D3-91D0-94B6553F2B7D.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now got another issue. Ugh. Everything is connected fuse box was broken on the bike so I found on the forum how to convert it to blade fuses, that is done. Bike didn’t run when I got it so not sure about anything. Now when. I turn the key main fus pops, so I’m guessing short somewhere but how to find it that is the big question.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Start by inspecting the harness for bare wires and at the same time check that the only wires plugged into a solid Green are also solid Green. The solid Green is a ground circuit so any power plugged in will act as a short.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do, left the garage frustrated tonight will try again tomorrow. Seems like nothing was going m6 way today. Tried to connect throttle cables looks like th3 ones I got a just little too short. Got reporo cables from 4 into 1 back in July and just tried it. I guess I will have to buy new.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, thank you. I checked with the manual and ran on the left side of the frame between the plates and can only connect one cable but not both, not enough slack for both.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got cables sorted out, it helps to put them into the right holes. :) Guys from 4into1 really helped me with trying to figure it out. All I had to do just to step back and look at everything, it was right in front of me.

Still have an issue with blowing a fuse as soon as the key is turned to on. Checked the harbes nothing is visible, i haven't taken the insulation apart. Got a new starter solenoid thinking maybe that is the issue but no. Also, if I put a 20 amp fuse instead of 15 it doesn't blow that but everything is still dead no lights or any power going to the starter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts