Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to set the cam timing using Bills' excellent article. I have the cams in and covers on to make sure everything fits, had to add shims to the intake cam. Cams on the intake and exhaust are not touching the lifters and the engine is on the LF mark on the rotor.

My question is when do I run the cam chain through and link it together - now or before I install the cams?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
No, get everything in place (alternator marks, cam marks), then rivet the chain together
Usually I put the link in at the 3 o'clock position on the intake cam sprocket - that will give your tool a chance to maybe fit.......

Your photo looks good (at least the intake) - make sure the exhaust cam mark is on spot, then get the cam chain up on the sprocket and rivet.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
gaillarry said:
About to set the cam timing using Bills' excellent article. I have the cams in and covers on to make sure everything fits, had to add shims to the intake cam. Cams on the intake and exhaust are not touching the lifters and the engine is on the LF mark on the rotor.

My question is when do I run the cam chain through and link it together - now or before I install the cams?
You'll WANT to be on the "LT" mark, NOT the "LF".......And the right exhaust valve SHOULD be under pressure (touching at the lifter and camshaft)...... You have to install the cams in order to link the chain ON them.............Please re-read Bill's process ENTIRELY, and understand it it before proceeding....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its on the LT mark, my typo error. Any trick to getting the chain up into the top of the head/top sprocket?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
It goes under the center guide sprocket, and I use a wire hanger with a hook to pull/guide it through......

·
Registered
177 Posts
Speaking of crimping the master link; does anyone have a link for the tool needed to do this? Also a link to purchase rivetable links would be extremely helpful...this is about the only thing keeping me from getting the bike finished!

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can use the motion pro chan kit or in the book they also say that the serrated portion of vice grips also work but not sure about that one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
owdskl said:
You can use the motion pro chan kit or in the book they also say that the serrated portion of vice grips also work but not sure about that one.
That's good to hear...I dont' really care to buy the motion pro kit for just this project. Are there really any drawbacks to using the clip-typle master link?

·
Registered
177 Posts
tbpmusic said:
MayerMR said:
.... Are there really any drawbacks to using the clip-typle master link?
How does catastrophic engine failure sound ??
Less than desirable....

tbp, do you know where I can find these links?

Thanks,

-Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts