Honda Twins banner

When $100 makes you right the wrong done to a bike

5K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  frogman79 
#1 ·
This has been a long time coming for this machine, this bike has stared at me for way too long and finally something showed up that gave me the direction that I need to get it completed and back on the road. Yes talking about the CB550 that has graced my garage since around 2009-10 and has never gone anywhere do to constraints of not owning it for most of that time. Little back story, friend of mine decided that he wanted a cafe racer and he and I both started looking for a project for him and I to work on. Along came a decent but neglected 75 CB550SS, mostly complete, title, not been run since the prior owner died several years prior. It was another one of those ran when parked bikes so I told him go look at it price was good. Next thing I knew it was siting in my garage minus gas tank as according to him it was rotted through so he tossed it wasn't planning on using it anyway. We pulled the carbs and found them to be ruined due to corrosion, none of the primary jets had any of the post left to sit in. SO another one of those, something we see here all the time. He managed to find a good set of carbs at a junk yard in the area which I went through and cleaned and rebuilt.

Few days later I hung the bank on the engine and tried to get it running with an auxiliary tank. Thing backfired out of the carbs like it was out of time so I checked a few things and found someone had wired the coils backwards. It fired right up and ran after fixing that. We played and messed around with it over the next year or so doing this and that but never really getting it past a mock up stage. His schedule ended up changing to where he was never around and the thing just sat. One day we caught up and he handed me the title and told me have fun, he doesn't have time for it and he knows I will get it where it needs to be.

I've stared at this poor thing for years, trying to direct were it should go and watched as it had the ass end hacked off and spent many hours trying to figure out what I should do with it. Recently, I know this is stupid but I finally researched the VIN on it and found it to be a reasonably early version of this model, they came out in 75 and this according to the VIN, is around the 8500 one made, born on FEB date. And for some ODD reason someone on eBay had parted one of these and had cut the back end off the frame with all the parts I need to put the titled frame back into stock condition.

SO after that long winded BLAAA, pictures. Yes we had planned on using a CB500T tank, and they do fit although they need the petcock moved. CB450 tank fits as well.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

AS for perspective, this is how the rear end is NOW

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Tire

And this is what I got of good old eBay that constitutes the $100.

Chassis Auto part Vehicle

This is the first time I have attempted to replace a large part of the frame on a motorcycle, with as much grinding and cutting that has gone on to this the best option thus far is to cut most if not all of the back end off and replace it. Yes plugging tubes will be involved as well an hunting down all the other parts needed to put this bike back to stock. I figure its early enough in the production cycle that it is worth saving.

And this is going to take some time, I have to gather many more parts to finish out the rest of the bike but there will be several modern upgrades as well, it already has a K&N air filter adapter and modern reg/rec and it will be getting a blade type fuse box and better lighting. It may end up getting the hard sided saddle bag I bought years ago and haven't used on anything. I've been saying I want it out of my garage and the best way to make that happen is to finish it. I will say that up till now I have about 10 years storage time in this and about $250 bucks in parts as I got the title for free so we shall see what else comes along.

See less See more
#2 ·
Frog,
Looks like a great project. These are really nice riding bikes. A good friend bought a 550F new in 1977. My kid has a '75 550K that needs a total restoration. I may start on it next. What is the plan for the frame? I think it would be best just to replace the tail piece behind the shock mounts. The 500T tank looks best :)

#4 ·
I do like the 500T tank, but I also like the look of this. I believe this is 77 dress, may have to copy it somewhat, I have a hard time leaving things perfectly stock. :D

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories

Jim, we sorta kinda ground off all the brackets in the triangle and were the tail got chopped was right through the molded pieces which got mashed to hold that pipe we used for the hoop. My friend got a little heavy handed with the angle grinder and got through parts of the frame where he removed the tabs so I figure cut back to good metal, plug and weld as much of the newer part of the frame on as I can, and be on to the next part.

#8 · (Edited)
Ok so things have gone as most men that have families that have new houses for me however I have not forgotten about this thread or this bike.

I have spent a bit of time researching this bike and what I know even more it's that it was owned by a service member from Barksdale AFB that got some reason moved it to the Lawton/FT Sill area. There is no ABF at FT Sill least there was not one while I was there I have more thoughts but for now this is a restoration based off of that from one service member to another.

Last 2 weekends have met with the following. I peeled off all of the fun parts and did the standard lay the bike on its side to get the engine out.

Frame is bare now time to figure cut spots and get to doing. This is one of those I need to make it in my way so it gets done at this point, can't wait to get it back up and running will be a good time.

#10 ·
Little more work done so far this weekend. Frame is down to where I want it to be before I start cutting, it's been kind of interesting as things are coming apart like no one has been here.

I'm going to see about the cutting and welding tomorrow I dont think the neighbors would enjoy an angle grinder right now.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a decent resto-mod, mostly stock, cream and green is something I've wanted to do for a while, this one might be getting it. 400f bars tasteful mods and a lot of chrome/polished deletion which means lots of paint.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Frog, have you decided where you are going to splice the frame? If possible, I suggest preserving the engine mount points.

#13 · (Edited)
I'd cut the tubular top rails just behind the "stamped" section of frame, but carefully hacksaw so the gussets and sidepanel mounts remain with the replacement section.....Gussets rewelded from inside the frame would be unobtrusive and easily blended in.......
The other cuts would be just an inch above the top of the passenger peg/muffler mount triangles..... Slugs and filled holes in the tubes of course.....The inch gives you room to smooth the new welds back to round/flush/hidden.....

Phone for specific reasons, better descriptions if need be......;);)

#14 ·
Thanks Steve kind of followed but went a little lower on the rear as I wanted to get one of the side cover mounts without having to cut and weld back on. I cut the rear peg mounts right at the frame to get them to stay. Since this is an SS model it has only one muffler so I am not as worried about getting both foot pegs perfectly even. Eventhough I will spend too many hours obsessing over getting them level.

Front side panel mounts will have to be cut out of the replacement frame and welded back in as we cut those out years ago. One of the helmet hooks will need to as well. I tried to cut the frame where I would have as little welding back in of cut off mounts as possible. As it is I have 3 still.

So far all of this planning/measuring/cutting has only met with one oops. I cut on the wrong side of the tape on one down tube but turned out it helps tremendously at giving plenty of wiggle room.

Either way pictures. I used the old loop for the plugs as the black iron gas pipe we used to make it fit well so why not. I will have to pull things back apart and bevel edges for better weld penetration but it seems to have worked as I am currently within an 1/8" all around from where measurements were which gives me plenty of room to grind excess down.

It already looks better...

#15 ·
If there was a medal for those who save vintage motorcycles, this one would get it for sure. Nice work!

#16 ·
Thanks Jim, we do what we do, it needs a better life other than sitting here and its easier to make it nice than deal with the botched mess that it was.

Much grinding and welding ahead of me but the hard part is over for now. Its funny how hard it is to just draw a line and cut.

#18 ·
Well, its stuck back together about as good as I am going to do. I really need a mig welding refresher as I ended up piling up way to much metal but it will be fine. That's what they make angle grinders for right? I have to grind and sand it flat anyway. Plugs also got drilled and plug welded 4 times a joint.

I will have to wait to weld some of the brackets on as I am going to wait until I get new side covers. 4into1 has a new repop set for 80 bucks so I'm going that route. Now I'm at the fun part, trolling ebay and local yards for parts.

And yes sharp eyes, the 450 got out for a ride and came back not wanting to idle. Oddly enough a few taps with a screwdriver handle on the side of the right carb which was barely running and it nicked back up. Float was stuck I guess. Always something I swear.

#19 ·
And of course I have to put the stock seat and the 500t tank on and I'm like damnit that looks cool.

It would sit perfectly fine once the rubber is under it and I DO have this tank, I don't have a 550 tank... decisions decisions.

#21 ·
Ok so a bit of a break but things are still moving forward. Waiting on parts to arrive or for that matter parts that are not ridiculous in price to show up on various marketplaces so I can buy them. I pulled the bowls off the carbs to make sure they were still fine and was greeted with some nasty green stuff.

Least every thing still looks good from 10+ years ago. Filled all the jets with 3 in 1 for now and will get the bowls back on but it all looks good.

If anyone has lines on tank and side covers for reasonable prices lemme know.

#23 ·
So after a bit of a hiatus, we do work. I've been waiting on 4into1 to get their repop side covers back in stock so I could finish welding in the side cover mounts. I needed the cover to line up 2 mounts on one side and one on the other.

They got some in stock so I snatched them up along with a set of 400f bars and a petcock. Pretty sure you all have not seen the tank I nailed off Ebay a month or so ago but I have finally made some progress. Tank is almost perfect or as nice as any I have found. No rust to be found.

Frame is welded, ground, and somewhat wirewheeled. Had to rebuild the front tank mounts as we originally cut them and moved them forward about an inch to make the 500T tank fit. Learned that Honda used a 3/8" ish pipe through the frame so drilling and getting the mounts back where they were was fairly easy aside from losing the pipe IN the frame. That took an hour to fish out. Grabbed some 3/8" bar stock from Lowe's, cut out a piece to fit and welded back in so good to go on that part.

Frame is completely down and after a bit more work with the wire wheel will be getting several coats of red oxide primer and black paint. Progress, thanks to this forced isolation, has been made. More parts to be located but it is moving forward. Hands are fairly tired from all the grinding and wire wheeling at this point but I am happy. :D

#24 ·
I just saw this thread, there is a guy over on the SOHC4 forum that makes a bunch of reproduction side covers. I realize it is now a bit late to help you with your project, but here is a link to his stuff: FB-stuff STORE

Looks like you are doing good work at saving a nice older bike!

#26 ·
Well, it warmed up enough to get some more work done. Finished getting the rest of the paint I could off. Hung the frame from the rafters, wiped down with acetone and went to town. Should be warm enough to dry so I can do another coat or so tomorrow. Maybe even get some black on.[emoji16]

#27 ·
Bit of time again, got some paint on the frame, cleaned and primed the center stand.

Also pulled the engine out from under the bench and thought it would be a good place to park a work cart with most of the parts from the bike put on them. Quick trip to Harbor Freight and bought one of the 3 shelf carts, put it together and sorted most of the stuff out on to it. Will double as a place to put the frame once the paint dries.

Engine, I'm not planning on opening it up. It ran great when I last had it running so it will get degreased and painted with the covers polished. Need to make some phone calls around town to see if one of the auto parts stores or rental places might loan or rent an engine stand for a reasonable price as this sucker is heavy enough to make me almost go buy one.

Was also fooling with the swing arm, getting the hollow pin out was fairly easy, thing saw some grease in its life. Play is pretty minimal too, might not need to change the bushings.

#28 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you to PROGRESS!!! Stupidly excited but I have spent a good day in the garage and painted many things. Frame is done, lots of little parts have been painted and I am thoroughly tired. But, it is back on the floor and waiting for the next installment.

The engine, 550s suffer from few things and this one has at least one, the leaky head gasket. If anyone of you that knows these please speak up. Is it worth replacing or will the replacement leak as well. I'm NOT interested in rebuilding this engine as it ran great when I had it last running so I am not going to tear it down unless I can fix at least that leak.

There is ONE JIS screw under the sprocket cover that holds the neutral selector in place and it did NOT want to come out. This little screw holds ALL of the electrics up on that side if you can't get it out. It took a chisel and hammer to get it to move. WHY they thought it was a good idea to do that I have no idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.