Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, for cosmetic reasons I am interested in replacing the multi piece wheel rims on my 1982 450 Nighthawk restoration, with rims from '83 or later. Is anyone familiar with compatibility to axle, brake rotor, bearings etc or will it be necessary to swap a lot of adjacent parts to achieve this. I originally owned and wanted to re-acquire/restore an '83 but the '82 was an opportunity I could not pass up.

I was unable to locate this in another discussion but if one exists I would appreciate it pointed out.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Dave, those familiar with your model will be along soon.
In the meantime, since you're new here please take a look at this

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
'83 Nighthawk to '82 Nighthawk wheel swap will be just that, direct swap over of parts, no changes or modifications needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply regarding the ‘83 wheel rims. I am looking at a set from an ‘84 450 Nighthawk, would just like to confirm that the answer regarding compatibility remains the same, no problem swapping 84 rims to 82 nighthawk? Both CB450SC. Thanks again. Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dave, a good way to check for parts that swap over is to look at the oem part numbers from bikes with different years. one place to do this is here Honda Motorcycle OEM Parts, Babbitts Honda Partshouse
for example, if LongDistanceRider says you can swap 1983 cast rims onto a 1982 nighthawk 450 with composite rims, you can take that to the bank.
then if you have a question about other year cast rims being the same, you can compare the part number on an 83 cast rim to an 84, 85, and 86 rim. in this case you will find that the 83 - 86 rims all have the same part number, so you can do this swap without worries.
i have an 86 450 nighthawk if you need anything measured to make sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, a good way to check for parts that swap over is to look at the oem part numbers from bikes with different years. one place to do this is here Honda Motorcycle OEM Parts, Babbitts Honda Partshouse
for example, if LongDistanceRider says you can swap 1983 cast rims onto a 1982 nighthawk 450 with composite rims, you can take that to the bank.
then if you have a question about other year cast rims being the same, you can compare the part number on an 83 cast rim to an 84, 85, and 86 rim. in this case you will find that the 83 - 86 rims all have the same part number, so you can do this swap without worries.
i have an 86 450 nighthawk if you need anything measured to make sure.
Thank you, good point. I was focused on the certainty that the ‘82 and ‘84 Rims are definitely different parts and didn’t think to leverage the prior response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts