Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I’ve got a 78 cb400T. Planning to do a 16” rear and 17" front setup, with modern stuff up front. Would anyone happen to know what’s involved in swapping the rear to a cb450sc wheel? Will I need the 450 axle, spacers, brake, sprocket etc or can I use my parts with the 450 wheel?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Reactions: J-T

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The SC rear wheel is a bad choice, chain alignment will be off by 4.2 mm's. That's the increase in length of the transmission counter shaft on the SC models. The CM400/450 T/C/A wheel will have the correct alignment.
Rear axle, spacers, brake panel, etc. are all the same for the different CB/CM models.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you're in love with the Nighthawk wheel you can always have the sprocket carrier milled or turned down 4.2mm and your chain line should be fine.
I would check with owners of 450SC nighthawks first and ask them about chain to tire clearance first though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Found a sc rear wheel locally and jumped on it - I don’t mind the idea of having the sprocket carrier milled down, but it may even get more complicated as I’m now unsure of axle diameters. Will update with what I find :) thanks again!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Alan - looks like axle diameter is the same so just the lathe operation to get this in. Also, thank you for your documents link (the one in sig);great collection of info in there :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts