Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter which way round the wheel spindle is inserted ?

So far as I can make out, in the 175 FSM, the spindles appear to be inserted from the brake plate side on both wheels, so that nut on back wheel is on the sprocket side, nut on front wheel on the opposite ( right hand side ).

And yet on the CB200 FSM, the drum braked model has the wheel spindle inserted from the right, so that nut is on the brake plate side.

Another, safety related issue. My K4 spindles don't have castellated nuts and drilling for cotter pins, unlike the later bikes. Does spindle orientation have any bearing on that ?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Probably only matters on the front wheel - might affect wheel spacing - definitely on disk brakes.
Yes or no cotters may have something to do with the direction of rotation on the wheel.

As an aside, we never saw drum brake CB200 here in the US.........

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belated thanks for that.

Wonder if I could drill my existing spindles to take castellated nuts, would the spindles be long enough ?

Front wheel nut is an M14 1.25 pitch, available over here in A2 stainless.

Can't find the size for the rear nut, I'm blindly guessing M16 1.5 pitch ???

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bit sad, replying to my own post, but I decided to bite the bullet and get some later cross drilled spindles and castle nuts, better safe than sorry. I see from the CMNSL website that Honda made this change midway through the K4 50000 series.

I bought a NOS 175 front spindle, and a good used CB200 rear spindle, spacers and nut. It is indeed an M16 nut on the rear, not sure about the pitch.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front wheel nut is an M14 1.25 pitch, available over here in A2 stainless
Wrong. It's an M14 x 1.5 pitch, and I can't find it in stainless, only passivated.

All part of the learning curve I suppose. Found out yesterday that CB250 lower shock mounting bolts are M10 x 1.25, not the M10 x 1.5 which I'd carefully bought in advance.

Where's the smiley for hitting ones head against a brick wall ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I was 13, I spent the summer taking Hondas out of the crate, assembling them IAW the instructions included with each bike, and rolling them to the showroom. For $3.00 each. Had a ball! The only one that I remember with a caution on front spindle orientation was the 305 scrambler. Putting it through the wrong way could result in the axle not only unscrewing, but coming out! Honda had a very large and clearly written caution and instruction in the manual, plus a caution tag on the axle. I made sure it was correct! However, one guy had the axle come loose rounding a turn at (our only in my home town) a stoplight, and stuck himself and the bike under a dump truck. I went with trepidation to visit him in the hospital, where he admitted that he had removed the axle and put it back the way he thought that it should go - the wrong way! This would have been about 1966.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts