Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I laced up my new spokes to my newly powder coated wheels the other day. The rear wheel went great! took about 10-15 min to get it all assembled. The front wheel however I've taken back apart twice to check that everything is as it should be but I think I'm still having problems.

I laced it up and some of the spokes are sticking through the rim further than others. The spokes are the correct length and I'm 95% sure I have the pattern correct but maybe I don't. The only spokes that are coming through too far are the inner ones. I've looked at pictures of complete wheels and I think my pattern is right but if some see's that it's not please let me know. The only other thing I could think of is... does the rim itself have a forward direction? In other words would it change anything if I relaced it just the same but with the hub flipped around? any help is appreciated
-Nathan

And here is the problem-

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn288/nathanhouse82/CB450
/IMG_1949.jpg

It's a '70 CB450

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Since the "long" ones seem to be in a pattern, you must be putting them back in wrong.
You took plenty of photos first, right??

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Supposed to be a "cross four" pattern....Yours cross five

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe you need to go one more hole further on all the spokes, basically like 66Sprint pointed out.

Even with the poweder coating you still should be able to see the indentations on the hub which shows the previous angle and direction of the spokes.

Looks like you have the correct location of inside and outside spokes (90 degree spokes and 100+ degree spokes)

What bike is the wheel from?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
looks like you went off on your second set of 9 inside spokes...one hole too far forward...I've built lots of wheels. I can walk you through it if you want to PM me your phone number and a time you want to talk. (so long as it's not Sunday...got a big ride planned :p )

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it worked out! It must have been one of those things where you look at it for so long you can't see it anymore!
So I looked at the pictures again and I started in the wrong hole when looking at the valve stem. It's amazing how
well it goes together when you do it correctly! :roll: Thanks for the input fellas, it got me pointed in the right direction
again. Now it's time to start truing...

oh, finished product minus truing below...will look better in sunlight but it was 530am when I took these pics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That looks so sick!!! I can't wait to build a set now!! What did it cost you to get them powder coated?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hazelscum1968 said:
That looks so sick!!! I can't wait to build a set now!! What did it cost you to get them powder coated?
$70 for front and rear hubs and rims. I thought it was a real good price. I did do the sandblasting myself on the hubs
so that saved me a few dollars and I had the chrome on the rims stripped so that cost me a few extra. If your chrome
is in good enough shape they can powder over it but it tends to look a bit different, looks like black chrome, which I kinda like
but just not for this bike.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
oooo looks familiar.

My rims are powercoated, and ive done the hub centers and fins two tone.
Put them on a lathe and made the fins on the hubs flat, painted the centers of the hubs gloss black, repolished the flats of the fins back to alloy then clear coated the whole she-bang.
Ordered new aftermarket spokes but, alas, my man in Thailand sent me a set to fit a drum front end and mine is disk, no returns either. Just dropped the original front spokes off at the zinc platers yesterday.
(i didnt discover the error untill i had started lacing....) :roll:

80AUD for powdercoating, 79 for the spokes, 40 for the plating of the front set, 60 on VHT wheel paint/clear coat, 60ish for bearings and seals, 8 for rim tape, 15 for tubes...it never ends. Cant wait to buy tyres and finally stop spending money on the rolling stock......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts