Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of picking up a couple CB750 wheels for my 450. Does anyone here know what will, and will not interchange???

I know the 450 rear sprocket is bolted directly to the hub, and the 750 was a cush drive. Both being drum brake in my case.

I'm guessing the offest would be wrong, but I might be able to correct that with axle spacers?

Any thoughts guys?

P.S. I'm looking at Lester mags and would LOVE to find a way to make them fit!!! :cry:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
GB... The front will bolt right on (spacing changes are dependant of year, but minor)...
UNFORTUNATELY, you are correct.... the 750 cush drive is a good bit further outboard, and if you look at the stock 450, you will see that since the sprocket is almost against the swingarm, that would push the tire to the right of the bikes centerline.... Spacing alone won't fix that...... Some machining and fabricating a new sprocket carrier can make it work, but the expense would exceed buying the correct rear wheel at new price (IF you can find one).......

SR500 Yamaha mags can be fitted and look a lot like the Lesters, but they wont be cheap either...... Another option is 5-spoke Kawasaki SR series wheels..... Again, minor spacing changes and if I remember correctly, a rear disc.....

Keep looking, you find something that WILL be workable..... Steve

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Actually, the "Comstar" wheels can be used with "stock" 450 forks..... It was simply easier to use forks that already were in good shape and had the correct mounts for the calipers......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks guys! I was afraid of that. Oh well, I guess I could still pick em up for the future 750 project...

I'll have to look into the SR500 mag in the meantime. I really love the Lesters and wish they'd work.. :cry:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So... I've been eyeing some Ascot mags now. :roll: They had a rear drum model Ascot, but the front looks like it MAY interfere with my dual disk setup? This picture of the front I JUST found, looks promising... :)

Any thoughts?

I'm DETERMINED to go TUBELESS!!! :!:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Actually, the "Comstar" wheels can be used with "stock" 450 forks..... It was simply easier to use forks that already were in good shape and had the correct mounts for the calipers......

Steve -

I don't think that would have been a true bolt-up, as the 360 stem/clamp I used had the same fork spacing as the 400 Comstar - the fork spacing is more narrow than stock 450.

Or did I miss something??
Sheesh - it's my bike, and now I'm confused !! :shock: :?: :? :(

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to jump in the middle of you guys' conversation here, but I edited my last post, and wanted to add the fact that I ?BELIEVE? the axle diameter is wrong for the front too? I could correct this with a bearing change using the 74 450 axle possibly. See here: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2962/dsc02942dp4.jpg

Again, your thoughts anyone??

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Front Axle diameters (350/360... the 400 Comstars, and the 450 are the same...lengths are different...(SOHC 750 too for that matter)

Bill, the comstar would fit 450 forks with different spacers and using the longer 450
axle... You'd have had to fabricate a "carry bracket" for the caliper you have (400T)

I have used a 550 Nitehawk front wheel (I believe the same as the Ascot) but it required some fabricating..... Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys, these are the wheels I wanna go with. I think they're XS650 mags with the rear drum obviously. I do wonder if anyone has used a front dual disk though? That's the only way I'll use a XS650 front. If not then I'll buy a Lester CB750 front mag, as they'll accept dual discs, and match the 650 mags close enough for me.

I don't know where I dug up this picture, but I think it was Ebay. If anyone has any info on it or putting dual discs on the front of a XS650 then that'd be GREAT! I get more confused everytime I start researching this conversion.. :?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I don't know what model that rear is off of? I can't find a rear with the drum? The front looks like it only has bolt holes on one side for the disk, but as you can see here, there is just some kind of cap over that part of the rim. The question IS, what's under that cap if it's even removeable????? :?: If not I'm thinking I could drill through the holes out the other side? I'll be using (out of necessity) longer rotor bolts that go all the way through the wheel and Nylok nuts to hold BOTH rotors on.

What do you all think??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll call you tomorrow sometime after noon Steve. My number is permanently blocked so expect a blocked/private number.

I did find that the "cap" comes off of the front wheel, and there were several models of that wheel that had dual discs up front. This option is looking better all the time. I've emailed a few people about rear wheels.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, after talking to Steve on this one, he was nice enough to send me a front mag wheel!! :D :D

Now the search for the rear with drum brake..

I contacted a guy and he sent me these pictures. The downside is, the wheels is a 16". I don't quite know what to think about that?? I'd really like to have an 18" rear.. Opinions, thoughts??? I have thought about lowering the front end by sliding the forks up in the trees, and using clipons, but I don't know if I'll be able to go that low in the front, to compensate for the 16" rear?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That rear rim I posted is from an XS400 and apparently won't work because of axle diameter. I'd rather not fool with it, and look for a rear drum mag from an XS650 instead..

Thanks again for the info Steve!! I'd be lost here, and buying every wheel I found until something worked if not for your help...

If anyone knows where I can source a rear DRUM BRAKE XS650 mag wheel then let me know!!! ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
GB-

Don't let the axle diameter put you off - it's pretty easy to rectify.

The CB400T rear Comstar I put on my 450 had a smaller axle diameter than the 450, but I wanted to retain the 450 swingarm.
So I just made a couple of small "collars" to put on the axle where it goes through the swingarm. A piece of heavy-duty electrical conduit was the perfect outer diameter, and a bit of grinding gave me the proper inner diameter - end of that problem. Then a bit of grinding on the spacers to center the wheel.......

Ended up looking like this - well worth the trouble.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yeah..... I told GB it could be made to work fine, but apparently he wants more of a "bolt-on" scenario..... He'll STILL have to "adjust" spacers/spacing to use the 650 wheel, but less fabrication work.... (I don't understand...For me THAT'S the fun part)...LOL...Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the look of the Comstars but wanted cast wheels instead. I always LOVED the Lesters and wanted something close to them. I don't mind fabbing parts up, but I've got my hands full with that already..

I've fabbed up several parts so far. T6 aluminum engine mounts, cafe seat. Modified stock CB550 switches to run without the original clutch lever by cutting smoothing the switch housings. Chopped rear fender. Chopped front, but I may not use it? Chopped kickstand/pegs. Rearsets and linkage. The list WILL go on. I don't mind fabbing stuff, but with this build going on for around 5 years now, I WANNA RIDE HER!!! Besides, I don't have a shop at home to do this stuff in. I have to sneak it into work most of the time, but the bosses never end up minding. They're more curious as to what in the hell I'm building most of the time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts