Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just assembled my front tire on a 72 CB350 and it is not lined up right. I double checked the manual and took it off to see if there was a problem with the way I put it back together. I then put it back on and it is still off center. Any suggestions??

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm supposing that you didn't notice anything before you took it apart? And I'm also supposing that everything went together like it should have and you didn't have to force anything? It appears to have the parts in the right order, so I'm wondering if the rim has been replaced and laced up off center? Assuming that it's the right wheel (the P.O. might have a different wheel in there? I'm offering all this without really knowing much on details and trying not to miss any possibilities, you know?

Like to know myself, Bill ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
is it off the same at the rear of the fender? fender isn't tweaked is it?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I think you may have the axle in backward, it's hard to tell from the photo.
Is the axle nut on the rider's left??

Don't ride it like that.....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Axle backwards would be my guess as well.... The NUT (that appears to have the two washers built on) should be on the brakeplate side of the wheel (left as you sit on the bike)... The wheel spacer (right side) should touch the fork tube bottom... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Henryinva said:
Kind of looks like there are two spacers on the one side. It would appear as if the thin one should be on the other side.
Henry

Only one axle "spacer" on a CB350 - it goes on the rider's right side.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Axle isn't in backwards, its the wrong spacer.
That looks like one for rear wheel, drive side
On most 350's the parallel portion fits into fork bottom and 'pushes' wheel sideways.
'Nut' should be on left side ( think is a 'tube' nut that fits into fork bottom and also acts as a 5~6mm spacer.
Axle is normally flush with outside of fork bottom ( depends on exact year)
PJ

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
PJ... We ALL agree the nut is on wrong side....
Rear wheeel spacer would NOT fit into the seal and axle diameter would give it away......
(check PM).... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Front axle nuts generally do go on the rider's left, probably something to so with the direction of rotation, or maybe the speedo drive or something.
Notable exceptions are the CB/CL 175, CB200 (not the CL), CL450, drum brake CB450, CB/CL 160, and probably some others I'm not aware of. Steve would know for sure.....
As far as I know all the fours have axle nuts on the rider's left.

Though I could be wrong......

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your responses!!!!! Bill Lane was correct, Axle was in backwards. Note the time of my original post 1:51 a.m. it was late and I was tired. I actually did take a photo of the front wheel prior to cleaning it up but didn't see it last night.
The last picture shows 2 spacers on one side. Today it is much clearer to me after a good nights sleep. Here is the pic I took before, 1 spacer on right side. Which is not the way I have it set up right now.

Thanks again,

Matt

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
donut! donut! donut!

Glad I've never done that... :oops:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
NE350 said:
Awe come on it was late!!!!!
Sorry - no mercy here .......

How do you think I knew what was wrong so quickly??? :shock: :? :eek: :oops: :oops:

Besides, we're all proud to get a Homer Award here, you should feel flattered...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
HOMER HOMER HOMER < GB chants.... :lol:

I wish I would've thought of that while I've been doing my wheel swap.. I just tried reversing the axle and nut and everything's way off now. Screw it, I'm runnin her backwards!!

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well if you were on the fence about awarding me the "Homer award" this will definetely sway your vote. Not only did I put the axle on backwards, I hooked up the front brake cable to the clutch lever. Oh Ya it was a ROUGH night.

At least I was smart enough to stop there who knows what else I could have done. LOL

Matt

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
NE350 said:
Well if you were on the fence about awarding me the "Homer award" this will definetely sway your vote. Not only did I put the axle on backwards, I hooked up the front brake cable to the clutch lever. Oh Ya it was a ROUGH night.

At least I was smart enough to stop there who knows what else I could have done. LOL
Matt
I'd have to say you're pretty much the front runner with that, Matt.
But that's good, displays the right attitude.
None of these guys have been man enough to fess up and laugh at themselves for a couple months now.
Takes a Real Man to laugh at himself....and it's all in good fun.
Enjoy your Donut, Homey......

Of course we do have a couple weeks left in the month for someone to do something even stoopider than that.

I'm just glad you didn't take off on the bike, with an off-center wheel and getting a rude surprise when you tried to shift !!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glad you posted about your wheel being off center, Matt. I went out to the garage after I read your post and found mine is off center too and of course my axle is in backward too. I probably would have noticed when I put the fender on but you saved me some head scratching buddy. Thanks!!
By the way, don't feel bad, at least you didn't forget to install the kickstart shaft in your engine like I did.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I knew I wasn't the only one here who can have an occasional bad day. I'm glad I could help. I'm new to wrenching so I walked in knowing I was going to f&^% up. But it's no big deal, I just figured out the problem and fixed it.

Matt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts