Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, just noticed something on the back of my rear suspension shroud, when I turned it around it was this (see attached pic). Anyone know what it is? Also found five registration reciepts under the seat where the owners manual lives, seems my bike spent some time in Iowa from mid to late 70's although it had a Minnesota plate when I bought it. It just keeps giving up it's secrets..............

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
It's an inspection sticker.....Looks like it passed inspection when it was registered in Nebraska....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
It's an inspection sticker.....Looks like it passed inspection when it was registered in Nebraska....
Thanks 66sprint, just wondered why it says trailer motorcycle down the right hand side :?:

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
"trailer or motorcycle" stickers go outside the vehicles (glue on back)... Automobile ones go inside the windshields (glue on face).... (So the inspection mechanic doesn't accidently fill out the paperwork with VIN, sticker number, etc referring to an incorrect type sticker for the vehicle it will be applied to )

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I'm glad Illinois doesn't force that kind of crap yet. I absolutely hate stickers on any kind of vehicle, but especially on a bike. I have some Indiana stickers to blast off my CB450 headlight ear when I get to it. Interesting that your bike crossed the border. My nephew from Omaha NE tells me that IOWA stands for "In Omaha Without Authorization". (That's one of the nicer acronym explanations.) Hey, I love Iowa, just sayin what he says!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
fxray said:
"In Omaha Without Authorization". (That's one of the nicer acronym explanations.) Hey, I love Iowa, just sayin what he says!
Yep, we have a saying over here about what you can't get in Iowa on the weekends cause they're all over here catching our fish. :lol:

In any case, South Dakota did away with the inspections years ago when folks figured out it was mostly a way for crooked shops to sell a lot of unnecessary "repairs".

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Yes, I'm sure there were "crooked" shops.... However, some shops, (the ones that actually did a "real" safety inspection) LOST money doing them.... The $5 or $10 fee did not cover the labor cost to perform all the required tests and adjustments even "back in the day"....
Would you remove both wheels to measure the brake pad thickness, reinstall the wheels, and adjust brakes and chain for $5?......And that was only a small part of the inspection.... We had to check tread depth and tire condition, check steering head and swingarm bearings/bushes for looseness, adjust the headlight, and check all lights and the horn for function... and take a test ride to check the handling/suspension (That was the only good part)..... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts