Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this insanity and I really do love it. My question for the experienced rebuilders, cleaners, polishers and lubers is this. What do you have on hand for the various projects associated with the maintenance and/or reconstruction projects on your bike. The reason I ask, is that as I get into something else on the bike, I am very careful about what I am using to clean, grease or lube the various pieces. For example, I had the left cover over the sprocket off the other day to investigate a funny noise. The cord protector had come off (not so funny) and I had the screws and a broken standoff laying on the ground. The inside of the cover was a mess with grime and gunk etc. I was hesitant to spray anything in there, so I just wiped it out real good...for now. I was afraid of using anything that would be too caustic or react with other parts.

Some examples of what you might use for the following jobs:
*Clean out an area as above without damaging other parts or aluminum or wires.
*Lube the cable internals
*Polish the chrome and aluminum (I know there can be books on different techniques).
*Protect wires from engine temps
*Clean out areas that will have oil flowing through them after reassembly
*Gasket treatments for different applications
*Rust preventative(retarder)

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide.

jon

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I made up a wheeled stand for a commercial cleaning tank that now lives under by workbench.
I use a water washable engine degreaser for cleaning most things.
For polishing I have a portable stand with a double ended polisher mounted on it albeit I always use this in the doorway or outside as the mess that comes of buffing wheels is amazing, it sticks to everything.
The stand was made of a length of scaffold pole with an old disk brake mounted on either end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts