Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang

I've been trying to find a really nice clean pair of K5-7 mufflers for the last year or so, and can count the numbers that have surfaced on one hand. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I'm stuck with the ones I've got which, although they aren't terrible, are aesthetically challenged. The left is pretty much solid and needs only a little work; the right, on the other hand, has a nasty road scrape at the open end on the underside. It'll probably need cutting open, having a new section grafted on and ground flat before both can be rechromed.

The question in the title is more to do with the chroming end of the operation than the repair itself - insofar as I'm wondering what the baffles consist of. Looking down the pipes I've got, I can't see any padding or wadding - which I think chromers/platers hate. Instead, it looks like the baffles are solid tubes (albeit full of holes). Does that sound right?

Thanks again - and to anyone with a nice pair of spare mufflers knocking about, I'm listening . . .

Neil

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've got a spare set of mufflers from a K7 but I'm afraid they wouldn't meet your expectations. They're pretty much dent and scrape free from what I remember seeing, and the only issue I do remember seeing is some battery acid etching on the right side muffler.. I'd post some pictures but it's hard to get imperfections to show up in photos anyway..

If they turn out dent & scrape free then what are they worth to you?? ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Packing is all metal, (perforated tubes and plates) but the possible carbon build-up inside a used muffler is usually enough to have the plater refuse to dip them in his tanks............

·
Registered
439 Posts
I went thru this with a set of 2 stroke mufflers. Plater recommended a radiator shop that dipped my mufflers in dip caustic cleaner. The pipes came out cleaner than i'd ever seen :) Then I rinsed the mufflers, heated to dry in and out, and plugged both ends. Talk to your local platers and see if this process will work for you. danWI

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - that's all useful stuff.

I've used a place locally that strips furniture to take the paint off engine cases, so I'll see if they'll do the dipping for me. That said, it might take me a bit longer than I'd previously anticipated to get to - I ordered some (reasonably expensive) bits from the US a couple of weeks back, but they haven't yet put in an appearance . . . and I've got this horrible feeling they've grown legs in the post.

If I've gotta find them (and pay for them) again, any exhaust work is gonna have to go on hold. Fingers crossed . . .

GB - that's a very leading question :) I s'pose it all depends on exactly what condition your bits are in :roll: . Can I trouble you to do me a small favour and PM a couple of pictures?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I could go dig them out of storage and shine them up for pictures, but have you given any thought to the shipping costs? It would be really expensive for something that large.. Plus any customs fees..

It didn't occur to me at first that you were outside the US. Please update your location through the "user control panel" for future reference.. ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah - I'd already considered the parcelling costs - that's why I said it would depend on condition. If they're nice enough . . .

I'm already ahead of you on shipping. USPS isn't too bad - and it's reasonably reliable. For example, I got a NOS rear mudguard sent over a while back and the shipping on that was about $25/30 US. The exhaust cans are heavier, but the box would be similar in size.

Customs is another matter; much depends on the declaration label. If the box is marked as something like used motorcycle parts and a reasonable value is declared (south of about $75) it's unlikely to attract too much attention.

'tis one of the pitfalls of buying a non-UK market bike, I guess.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Last time I tried to seperate them from the headers they wouldn't come loose. I even soaked them with penetrating oil. I'f have to get them out and try. I might have a chance in the next day or two and if you haven't found anything by then, I'll get back to you..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts