Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have some yellow creame colored stuff all over my gas tank that I am not sure if its sealant or old gas residue. My cb that I bought was only sitting for a year-ish. Heres some pics it's been soaking in vinegar for the past couple days and so far, no results. The stuff is still stuck on. Also I washed my bike and now the electrical system isnt working when I turn the key. Did i short something out? What should I look for/ do? Thanks -Eli

·
Registered
77 Posts
If that were my bike/tank - id take the tank off completely and pressure wash the inside to get most of that out of there. Looks like someone applied way too much tank sealant.

also It’s very likely when you washed the bike water got in somewhere and shorted something. Check your fuses and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That looks like Kreem tank liner. Some have had luck removing it with acetone, others have heated the tank up with a torch to burn it out. It would be best to get it out of there so you can assess the true condition of the tank. It will eventually fail, especially when it is applied incorrectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty ya, I wanna get it out, I think it's why my carbs got clogged. I'm gonna soak the tank in acetone, thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Acetone will eat the paint off your tank too...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Also acetone will work better warm. Perhaps you have a sunny spot you can set the tank? A little agitation is good too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could always have it Media Blasted. If they know what they are doing, Media Blasting is Amazing!
Oh, and Yes, I would say it was a poor attempt at sealing the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts