Honda Twins banner

What'd I get myself into? ‘75 CL360 scrambler

10K views 99 replies 9 participants last post by  Spino 
#1 ·
After decades of riding bicycles I got the throttle fever last winter. Started with a KTM two-stroke that I’ve been having fun riding off-road. A friend of mine put a bug in my ear with his old CB restoration projects. And before I knew it, I ended up with this 1975 CL360. Engine seems to be in good shape. Tank and seat are in great shape. Missing some parts, but my buddy assured me it’s doable to get it running again. So we shall see!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First trip to the salvage yard. Kickstarter. Cool scrambler bars off an SL from the early ‘70s. A shift lever that needed to get bent right. Easy enough.

Attachments

#5 ·
Left controls and new clutch lever blade installed! Had to make the wiring hole a little bigger since I was fitting four cables through while the old SL setup only had two. This bit did the charm we did a bit of string and rubbing alcohol for lube. Had to break off the set pin on the control as well because the bars didn’t have a hole for it. Routing the wiring under the control was a bit of a mystery at first but I figured out how it was supposed to naturally fit.

Attachments

#11 ·
Electrical adventures this weekend. Bike didn’t come with a regulator, so I just got the combo reg/rec to upgrade the charging. Easy enough to set it up once I figured out the wiring diagram. I did waste a fair bit of time puzzling over the harness, trying to figure out the wiring mod recommended by Common Motor to connect the two wires coming off the stator. I’ll save that one for later I guess.

New flasher relay was a quick fix as well.

Up front, I replaced the rubber bumpers for the bar clamp, although I was disappointed that they still felt a bit wiggly. Oh well, they were inexpensive.

Attachments

#12 ·
...although I was disappointed that they still felt a bit wiggly.
There is normally a bit of movement in the rubber insulators. They're there to help reduce vibration so if they were harder/stiffer, they wouldn't do as good a job. And as far as any parts you need like the rec/reg combo, there are many sources for good quality parts - just ask an opinion here before buying the first listing you see, often there's a significant difference in price. Take a look at this to get an idea of what else is out there.

#15 ·
Common is a good place to shop for ideas, then google around for deals. Heck even Dime City is cheaper some times. One of my favorite places is 4into1.com They sell all kinds of goodies for all types of bikes not just 4 cylinders.

Either way, the mod for the 2 wires coming off the stator is a moot point really, they are connected once the lights are on with 360s, not just when the high beams are on like older bikes.

#16 ·
Took some time off over the holidays to spend time with the in-laws. Back at it over the weekend with a new toy, a multimeter. Went through all of the wires in the harness to better understand the electronics. Not very photogenic but quite satisfying.

#17 ·
Very successful trip to the salvage yard yesterday. Got a seat latch, which I gutted to just open with a screwdriver. Picked up a complete rear brake pedal to fit with the low pipes. Also found a housing for the ignition key. Wiring the bars with a new start button is still a work in progress...

Attachments

#18 ·
Front brake is coming along. Rebuilt the master cylinder last night. Scrubbed out the inside with scotch brite, which helped with the corrosion but it’s still a bit stained in there. Also, managed to pop out the caliper piston with compressed air after loosening up the old seal with a heat gun. Thing popped out like a rocket! Hopefully will get it reassembled with a fresh seal and bled in the next few days.

In other news, my carburetor needs a deep, deep cleaning.

Attachments

#20 ·
Basic fuel tank rehab. Replaced the cap seal, which was unexpectedly annoying. Rebuilt the petcock. I was perplexed by this little o ring though. Seems like it should fit on the nut that joins the petcock to the tank but there wasn’t an old one there and this new one didn’t seem to easily fit on either side. Thoughts?

Attachments

#23 ·
Probably because they don't connect together......The alternator connects to the rectifier, regulator, and through them to the battery.....
Your bike has a battery powered ignition...The coils connect to the "kill" switch (Battery positive), points/condensers (Primary winding negatives/grounds) , and sparkplugs (Secondary winding negatives/grounds)......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.