Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of plating did Honda use on the rear pegs in the 60's?
Zinc? Nickel? A variation of either??

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 8.26.26 PM.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree Cadmium, but it's more likely to be Zinc plated first and then passivated by dipping in a trivalent Dichromate bath, the chemistry used will determine the colour of the passivation, for instance Cadmium Di-Chromate would produce a yellow finish, so would Sodium Di-Chromate or Potassium Di-Cromate. A good resource is to look at Caswells for home brew chemistry. Plating Kits - Caswell Inc.
Nigel.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just got a Caswell plug and plate system(a gift from my darling wife) I haven't tried it out yet,Its a brush on electroplate system,I plan on using it on my comstar wheels just as soon as I remove all the rust ill plate them with nickel in the mean time I'm making a Nickel Acetate solution to plate a very sad looking shifting lever and assorted nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
@workdogz; Just be careful with that, Comstars are Aluminium and the finish is anodising. I’m not a metallurgist but plating may embrittle the spokes so please do the research first, I’m not trying to spoil your day here but it’s a concern....
FWIW if you’re planning to nickel plate the steel components you can; but usually the first coat is Copper, which is then polished before you start to plate the Nickel, if you then want to you can plate with Chrome, those are the processses with “Triple Chrome Plating “ there are two types of Chrome plating; Hexavalent; and Trivalent both are nasty chemicals to have at home involving Cyanide. That’s part of the reason Chrome Plating is so expensive; Copper, Zinc, and Nickel are easier and less Toxic to both the Operator and the Environment!
Especially if you have small children at home!!
It’s worrh talking to your local platers and finishers for their advice on that. Caswell is a good place to start your research.
Nigel.

Reactions: longdistancerider

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom Ill proceed with care

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well I just finished nickel plating that very sad looking shifting lever DSC00523.JPG DSC00530.JPG DSC00533.JPG I did soak it in vinegar to remove the rust. a quick sand and in to the Nickel Acetate solution. It is a flat grey when it comes out,polish there you are. This is just a proof of concept with better prep It would look much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts