Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have my first engine completely apart right now. It’s from a 1973 CL350 K5. I’m wondering if there’s a list of parts I definitely want to replace before reassembly? Just wear parts stuff that you would be wise to replace now to avoid splitting cases again soon.

So far I’m doing:
Rings
Clutch plates
Stainless steel hardware
Starter motor and clutch rebuild
Had my cams and rockers resurfaced
Maybe clutch and valve springs - haven’t measured them yet.

Any help is much appreciated on my first engine build. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Add Cam Chain tensioner Rollers and Cam Chain to the list.

And of course ALL Seals & Gaskets.

Reactions: dmfcb750

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add Cam Chain tensioner Rollers and Cam Chain to the list.

And of course ALL Seals & Gaskets.
What a dummy. Gaskets and seals are definitely on the list. I also had the cam chain guide on the list as well. Do I need to replace the whole mechanism and chain?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely agree with Yendor's addition to the list.
who did your cam and rockers? how did they turn out? can you post a picture?
Per your great advice on my project build thread, I sent them to Jon at Delta Cams. He called me last week and said they arrived, but I haven’t heard back since so I assume he is still working on them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what my rollers look like.

Should I replace these? The carbon was scrubbed off both. This was a midpoint pic.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Anyone know where to get this without dropping the $180 that Common Motor wants for it? Honda CB350 Cam Chain Tenisoner Kit | Common Motor Collective
Their prices are often high, but in this case they seem to be out of stock on that set anyway. I might be able to save you a couple bucks if you buy the parts individually... I think I still have a new 350 center roller I ordered by mistake for my 450, you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hideous... definitely replace
Noooooooo. Is there anywhere I can buy them cheaper than Common Motor's kit? I can't seem to find them on the online parts stores that I know of. And they're always out of stock on the parts fiche sites like CSMNL and Bike Bandit.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Noooooooo. Is there anywhere I can buy them cheaper than Common Motor's kit? I can't seem to find them on the online parts stores that I know of. And they're always out of stock on the parts fiche sites like CSMNL and Bike Bandit.
I'm not in touch with more possibilities for the 350 engine, I haven't owned or worked on one in 40 years. :( I'd search eBay, 4into1.com, even cmsnl.com if necessary (though their shipping will be higher)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Their prices are often high, but in this case they seem to be out of stock on that set anyway. I might be able to save you a couple bucks if you buy the parts individually... I think I still have a new 350 center roller I ordered by mistake for my 450, you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping
Sorry, I missed this post earlier. That would be amazing. I will definitely take you up on that, sir. Do you want to PM me paypal details or what's your preferred method?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have found the intake valves are often worn with a groove in the sealing surface. Exhaust valves are generally OK if they aren't burnt. Since you are deep into this build I would suggest a new set of valves.

The valve springs .... usually the inner springs are out of spec the most. I think I have found 8 or 10 in spec ones out of 40 or 50. The large springs are usually better but I would say over 40% are out of spec. No one seems to be selling aftermarket springs that match the OE and I wouldn't suggest going to racing springs.

The piston rings are over half of what a piston and ring set go for and again very seldom do I find serviceable cylinders so I would suggest having your pistons and cylinders checked. New pistons, rings and a rebore is the way to go.

I usually figure that I will use parts from at least 3 or 4 engines to get one without having to do rebores and valve jobs.

Time and money.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
take your cylinders, head and pistons to a machine shop and have them measured...replace what's out of spec. make sure you give them the specs from the OEM shop manual.

by the way, I usually don't replace the cam chain unless it's obviously bad...just the tensioner rollers. if your cam chain is worn then so are your cam sprockets...

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Shameless plug for HT member TOOLS1 for machine shop work. He does honest work for a good price.

Reactions: TOOLS1
1 - 20 of 33 Posts