Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have thoroughly enjoyed the forum and have gained so much knowledge from it. I am currently wrapping up my CB350 K2 build. It's been awesome finding parts, learning repair techniques and adjustments, etc!!! The bike was a left for dead but all original. I have touched and handled almost every system on the bike. I am excited to say it runs and all electricals are now working. Thanks everyone and I promise to post pics. Thanks a bunch everyone for promoting and contributing to site.

Now for the advice portion of this thread. I just today bought a 1973 SL350 which turns over and has some compression. Its missing carbs but all else is there, rust was no extra charge. It has tons of original great parts but it appears every sub system will need attention. My question:

Part out or sell intact or restore? I believe SL's are more rare compared to CB/CL's. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated regarding my options. Nobody will hurt my feelings and I am not partial to one plan of attack vs another. Pictures are of my original red '70 CB350 which is now morphed to blue/green. Thanks Willy from Bonita Springs for a righteous deal on all the tins!! Lastly the new '73 SL350.
IMG_2635(3).jpg IMG_E0278.jpg IMG_0287 (2).jpg IMG_0288 (2).jpg

·
Registered
755 Posts
KEEP IT!!!!!! Keep em all. :D Well, that's always my first impression when I see a neglected motorcycle. :-?

Actually, that's a pretty cool bike. It's a lot more "complete" than most of the CL or ebay SL's you see. One reason they're more rare is because they often just got used up. They were rode until they were "just an old bike" then handed to some kid who finished it off in the back field. The decision though must be all yours. I don't even know your wife (assuming you have one) and I have no reason to get on her bad side. Nope, you decide! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J-T ....No it does not but there is a chance the owner prior may help. If I go the restore route that is obviously a hurdle but if I part out it really only makes the frame not worth much. Does that make sense? I'm all for preservation of the old bikes regardless of how they get there. If I part it out and it makes some other enthusiast have a complete project that seems ok to me. Never really been motivated by making money on these things. The hobby motivates me.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If it were me I'd see about getting it running, any roadblocks to that end will help make the decision easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan F. - I think I may agree and that's the more fun route. Carbs will be a good sized initial expense. It kicks over and has some compression.

·
Registered
755 Posts
IF you just want to see if it'll run before getting too deep, I'd suggest Chinese ebay/Amazon carbs. Assuming everything else is okay, you can get a pair of those for around fifty bucks and see if it'll make noise. You'll be hard pressed getting one working Keihin for that. ;)

Then especially if you decide to part it, resell the carbs for $20 a piece. Anybody interested in buying them will be happy to see a seller that's obviously not a Chinese importer with a U.S. address. :D

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
IF you just want to hear it burp over and run for a moment, you don't even need any carbs....

Phone for details.....540-525-5199....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint - thanks for the offer and when I get there I'll take you up on it. I'm sure the members appreciate you always throwing your number out there for assistance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It all depends on your motivation. If you're up for a project, then I say do it! The SL I brought home had a lot less parts and a stuck engine, but I love having a long term project to keep me busy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pops - that's similar to what I did with my '70 CB350. Keep knocking items off the list.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would regret selling that even with the aftermarket exhaust pipe. You just don't find the SL as easily as the CB/CL.

The SL is much more the style of todays ADV bikes and yours has so many good parts on it. You don't need to do a 100% restoration, as a matter of fact I wouldn't, to get a kick out of that bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts