Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, riding around, and the rear shocks feel pretty loose, and give way a bunch and I only weigh 160lbs after 2 pints of beer. :lol:

<---------------The bike is in the picture there...

Add a skinny 100 lb girl on the back and the thing feels really saggy just hitting a bump.

I saw no mention of that sort of thing in these ads that convinced me that I needed a Honda to have said girl on back of bike...

I am not experienced in upgrading these sorts of things, what do you suggest as a good alternative to the Honda rear shocks for these? It is my understanding that they are a bit weak in quality to begin with. I have also read that some people swap the cheap and easily available sportster shocks for these on certain models. I am 100% ignorant about shocks & springs.

Any advice suggestions etc on how to upgrade these in a reasonable manner? The only mention I find when searching is to buy super expensive pro-race shocks. I am not, at least at the moment, super expensive racer guy.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Suspension requirements are subjective...That is, they depend on your riding needs (street, track, racing, cowtrailing, whatever) and a combination of your weight plus the bike's weight, speed capability, brake type and efficiency, etc......... A decent temporary alternative might be simply to use good condition stock shocks from a larger Honda.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
Suspension requirements are subjective...That is, they depend on your riding needs (street, track, racing, cowtrailing, whatever) and a combination of your weight plus the bike's weight, speed capability, brake type and efficiency, etc......... A decent temporary alternative might be simply to use good condition stock shocks from a larger Honda.....
Okay this is exactly the good advice I needed. So, it would be a good idea to snatch up a cheap pair of NOS shocks off of a cb360 or something like that? I know that part is pretty readily available. I am going to hit the feeBay and see what I can come up with.

-S

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
IMHO, the only way that's justified is if you're dead broke and you desperately need something to keep the fender up off the tire.

The stock shocks back then were ALL crap. Read any of the period tests - oversprung and underdamped, every one, from the smallest to the largest. They didn't start getting decent until the 80s or so...

You'll be MILES ahead by buying even the least expensive set of shocks from either Dennis Kirk or JCWhitney.

And the fork? Piece of cake - drain the old fish-oil fluid out, flush briefly with diesel fuel, refill with fresh 10-weight or 15-weight oil and add about 1/2" ~ 3/4" of washers stacked on top of the stock springs. Done for nearly free, and you'll be shocked (no pun intended... :) ) at the improvement.

Kirk

*EDIT* BTW, shawn, I just realized you're from Central Fla. Me too - where abouts are you? I'm on the northeast side of Orlando, in Oviedo.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
LOL....I did say TEMPORARY (test) pair......
He'll need to know the specific bike the shocks were from to make a judgement call if they are "stiff' enough, match his weight/bike weight loading, etc.... THEN buy replacements for "those" shocks that best suit......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kirkn said:
The stock shocks back then were ALL crap.
Yep, I read that before I got the bike, that was the major complaint, and aside from that the other thing I kept reading was that this bike had an insane aggressive cam, and not to think that just because it's only 175cc that it can't toss you off the seat if it is tuned. Both of those things I agree with, and I can see why so many of these pretty things are chopped into cafe racer do-the-ton oblivion.

kirkn said:
You'll be MILES ahead by buying even the least expensive set of shocks from either Dennis Kirk or JCWhitney.
Yep, that's what I wanted to know.... so which ones any advice / experience with this? I ask because I have never bought shocks for a motorcycle, and my buddy here in Trampa I asked for advice is a vintage racer, and all the things (web pages) that he pointed to were super expensive ($300 is half of what I paid for this bike.. not that I am cheap, it's just that certain things I know shouldn't be that expensive).

I know that the K-6 Cb175's aren't the most popular model and that many have been hacked apart, and I haven't seen many owner-build-restoration websites or logs as I have for the bigger CB's, but I guess this is pretty much the same as a CB160 in size and weight and premise. I'm in Florida, everything's flat, but in some areas there are brick streets etc. I am not turning it into a racer... at least not any more than it already is stock... and at most there will be 250lbs on the bike with a girl on the back... unless my tastes in women drastically changes... but lets not take that into factor here.

kirkn said:
And the fork? Piece of cake - drain the old fish-oil fluid out, flush briefly with diesel fuel, refill with fresh 10-weight or 15-weight oil and add about 1/2" ~ 3/4" of washers stacked on top of the stock springs. Done for nearly free, and you'll be shocked (no pun intended... :) ) at the improvement.
Kirk
Roger, Wilco, got it! Thank you for reminding me. I noticed someone else had done something like that, when I was searching the forums a while back. The fronts are a little soft but pretty good compared to the rear. At least they don't really bother me enough to worry about them.

kirkn said:
*EDIT* BTW, shawn, I just realized you're from Central Fla. Me too - where abouts are you? I'm on the northeast side of Orlando, in Oviedo.
I am near downtown Trampa ;) I actually grew up near Ybor city (Cigar capitol of the world, and one time home to the Mafia). I have spent time in Oviedo, believe it or not. My booking agent used to have a house there, and I went there for some crazy pool party once I can't remember, except that the morning after we ate at a neat mom & pop breakfast place across from a church that had huge live chickens everywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a set of Redwings for my CB200 this week ( have not received them yet)
http://www.superiormcsupply.com/kms-1.html

They are probably not all that good but I figured they can't be worse than the nearly 40 years old rubbish original shocks I have now.

Ikon (they seem to be the people who took over good old trusted Koni) wanted close to $400 shipping included.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts