Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told there are different type points used on these bikes, and you must have the correct type for your particular machine? also there is a way to tell which is which, pitts? in base plate or points with one brand or another? I am confused.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Probably best to call your local Honda dealer and see if they can get you oem points. A bit more expensive
but should last twice as long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a Honda dealer, DFW in Dallas, TX.- the head of the parts dept. asked if they were Toyo or Denso points, and said you could tell the difference because one or the other( he didnt remember which one) had pock marks or indentations on the points. my 175 has marks on the point base plate but not on the points themselves. my cl 360 has marks on the points and base plate. but I dont know what brand has the marks and which dosent, or if they interchange.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think they're denso. Is it spelled out in the manual?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Honda used Denso and Hitachi points, depending on which points plate you used.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The online parts description page for your Honda will tell you what brand oem is standard for your bike;I think you can use any brand that says it fits.I prefer ND oem points for the CB350;the other brands you mentioned are good quality also and will fit if they are the correct part# for your bike.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
IIRC Theres a difference in the set screw between the Denso and Hatachi, which is why the plates are different. Both plate should be stamped cb93. A cb200 set will also work ( with a 200 plate). A while ago there were a bunch of complaints about points not fitting, these were actuall cb100 points that sellers were claiming would fit.

Post a picture of the points plate and we can see if we can wotk out what you have

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
On the 175 engines there are at least two different points plates, with matching points sets. The pivot point is a different diameter.

DSCF2486.jpg

DSCF2490.jpg

DSCF2495.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cb175 points

Thanks for the pictures Richard.
The plate on the left (silver) is Denso
The plate on the right (gold) is Hatachi
what i have is the Hatachi point plate, so I need Hatachi points? The young man at the Honda dealership told me he had Denso and Toyo points to fit. I assumed since its a Honda dealership they would be OEM points, but I didnt ask- so the Toyo points would be aftermarket? i dont know if it helps, but my engine # is cb175E 7018833. I just want to get the correct parts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts