1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
AGM, I got tired of checking water.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
MotoBatt AGM. Coming from those cheapo BatteriesPlus acid batteries, this is a godsend!

Reactions: longdistancerider

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
AGM here also. Maintenance free and much more reliable than regular batteries.

·
Registered
475 Posts
(Chrome batteries ) Its a brand, sealed battery 1 to 3 day shipping great price. ANYTHING OTHER THAN A VENTED ACID TYPE,THEY ALWAYS BOIL OVER AND RUIN YOUR CHROME!https://www.chromebattery.com/

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
(Chrome batteries ) Its a brand, sealed battery 1 to 3 day shipping great price. ANYTHING OTHER THAN A VENTED ACID TYPE,THEY ALWAYS BOIL OVER AND RUIN YOUR CHROME!https://www.chromebattery.com/
I got one and stuck it in a Ducati I am working on, seems ok. Cheap is right, less than $30.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I got one and stuck it in a Ducati I am working on, seems ok. Cheap is right, less than $30.
Past few times around I've gotten Scorpion brand AGMs from www.batterystuff.com good (but not $30 good)($55 for CM400) prices, quick ship,good customer service.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My curiosity is up with this thread.. I'm running old lead acid, I looked into the anti gravity style batteries and was informed they are great ...HOWEVER, the charging system needs to be in GREAT shape. Now, I am new to hondas, and know the 70s charging systems weren't exactly the greatest.... how well do these batteries hold up to stock (non-aftermarket) charging systems?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
My curiosity is up with this thread.. I'm running old lead acid, I looked into the anti gravity style batteries and was informed they are great ...HOWEVER, the charging system needs to be in GREAT shape. Now, I am new to hondas, and know the 70s charging systems weren't exactly the greatest.... how well do these batteries hold up to stock (non-aftermarket) charging systems?
My 450K6 has the Kohler RR and the 500T is all original. The same AGM battery (bike master I think) in both with no problems but I just recently changed. I did run lead acid for the past 7 years with no problems on either.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Team AGM here as well, with Sparck R/Rs.

No idea how fast a stock charging system would kill an AGM, but if you do the math, the Bikemaster battery for my 360 is $65 and lasts 5-7 years, an LA is $45 and lasts 2-4 years (I know, I know you have the original LA battery that Honda put in the bike and it still runs like a dream, but some of us aren't so lucky or kind to batteries :D ), so...

Over the course of 8 years:
$65 for an AGM + $35 for a Sparck R/R = $100
$45 for an LA X 3 = $135 (plus water refills and less effective charging)

YMMV, of course, but I'd do it for the lesser maintenance requirement alone.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Take a look at the batteries the new Motocross bikes are using, tiny new-tech lightweight...worth consideration...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
IF your charging system is compatible.

Reactions: Rob Axel

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The OP has an 1985 cb450sc which after measuring its charging voltage at a variety of engine rpms should top out around what, 14.5vdc? That should be fine for an AGM battery.

I'm not as confident in my knowledge of the older charging systems, if in good shape and operating within spec they should be fine with AGMs too.

Lithium Ion batteries have very strict needs, upgrades to regulator and rectifier will probably be needed on most vintage bikes to keep one of those happy.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
These bikes tend to overcharge normally. It is not uncommon to see 15.5v at even moderate revs. A regulator upgrade will make your agm last.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
walmart everstart agm for the last 7 years.

But have chromebattery agm in my atvs and they work great.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Factory spec for the SOHC 400 and 450 series is 15V +/- .5V. It's not uncommon to see them charging at 15V plus. This is NOT good for any of the newer batteries and very hard on the old lead-acid type.
I've been running the MotoBatt AGM batteries for years now and the road bike is running a Mosfet regulator so my charge voltage is under 14.5V always, typically it almost gets to 14V.

·
Registered
453 Posts
EarthX LiFePO4. Tired of using trickle chargers over the winter.
Sonrir, I know you posted this 8 years ago, but I see you were running an EarthX LiFePO4. I am interested in running a lithium ion battery in my 1973 CL350 but I don't know what modifications I need to do to my charging system to make it work. I called EarthX last week and they were very adamant that it wouldn't work for my vintage bike. What mods do I need to make? How has it been running for you? Are you still using that battery?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts