Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and didn't really find an amount of oil needed. I have also seen differing answers regarding type of oil to put in the forks of a cb450. Is auto trans fluid the preferred oil for my bike?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so ATF will be just fine then according to your manual. Thanks, I appreciate the response!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Don't use ATF, it is not the same stuff that the book called for years ago.
Just buy yourself a bottle of 10wt fork oil, it is 16 oz and you only need about 11.
I use Bel-Rey fork oil myself

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why is it different...detergents or something? Isn't it still pretty much a hydraulic oil though? I'm just curious. I will probably just buy some fork oil anyway since I'm heading to my local motorcycle shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the big thing is to keep even amounts in each leg. I got a syringe from the local walgreens and used that for proper measurement.

·
Registered
145 Posts
pawn said:
why is it different...detergents or something? Isn't it still pretty much a hydraulic oil though? I'm just curious. I will probably just buy some fork oil anyway since I'm heading to my local motorcycle shop tomorrow.

its a viscosity thing. you can experiment with different weights and see what you like.

Fork oil is the ideal choice, but personally, I haven't had any problem with ATF. I have 160cc of DextronIII/Mercon in each leg of the red bike and it responds well enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts