Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a rebuild and I have a part that I can't identify? After tearing the engine apart, I had the head and transmission case vapor blasted. When I got it back, there were a few incidental pieces that the blaster had removed (mostly locating pins). However, there was one part that came back in a baggy labeled "oil plug" that I can't seem to place. Can anyone help me?

Pictures:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
842 Posts
Looks as if it may be an oil way blanking plug ? but looks as if it is pressed in ?

Check CMSNL for the exploded views...

Look on the cases you sent away for a hole...same diameter.

It's a blanking plug for something...look on the unseen end for evidence of it being knocked out, a straight thru passage somewhere...else how was it removed ?

Hydraulically or compressed air ?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Looks as if it may be an oil way blanking plug ? but looks as if it is pressed in ?

Check CMSNL for the exploded views...

Look on the cases you sent away for a hole...same diameter.

It's a blanking plug for something..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've looked through the parts fiche and not found it. Are there any places you know of in other Hondas where there's an oil passage plug like this?

There does seem to be evidence that it was tapped out from the non-flange side - so there is presumably access to both sides.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Did you look at the oil pump? It has a 'pin, knock' on the inboard side of the drawing. I assume you checked the crankshaft outer bearing race knock pins. Also, the upper crankcase knock pins. The crankshaft race pins would be solid, but don't recall the upper crankcase pins. None of those four would have that enlarged end, but there is an O-ring that appears to go on the oil pump pin, and that may be retained by the enlarged head.

Or, it doesn't appear on the drawings because it was pressed in, and not meant to come back out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nope, I checked all of the knock pins. I even had to order a couple replacements. It isn't hollow like the locating pins for the case , cylinders, and head. It isn't small enough to be a pin for the shift fork. It isn't one of the crank bearing pins. The oil pump pin is also hollow.

Yeah, I suspect it is a sudo-permanent part that isn't on the fiche. Which is weird, Restocycle left a few other things (including some of the locating pins) that didn't have to come out. So what is this part that they felt need to come out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about this hole behind the clutch (see below)? Is that supposed to be open? It passes all the way all the way through the upper case. The other side dead-ends into the stator housing gasket. Is it part of the oil distribution system?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied.

After looking through the Common Motor CB450 rebuild series, that's definitely it. The hole is plugged on their engine. You can see it in the attached screenshot.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
That photo also shows what looks like a staking mark, which would prevent it coming out. I wonder why it was removed during blasting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I said, the hole passes all the way through the upper case and dead-ends into the stator gasket. As far as I can tell, that end stays open. I supposed they tapped this out to make sure that media didn't get stuck in the passage. It is probably connected to the oil system.

I haven't checked the fit yet, since I need to take the clutch back off to install. But just off the bat, any thoughts on reinstalling it? Try and stake it myself with a punch? Use some kind of adhesive?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Not many adhesives will hold up against the heat, vibration, and oil immersion; perhaps JBWeld. If you are going to try staking it, can you place something behind it to absorb the shock, like a hammer head, while striking the staking tool? It's pretty close to the top of the casting, so that may be a big ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I reinstalled it last night with a brass rod and a mallet. It seems to be a very press fit given how hard to is to pound back in, however that's in a cold engine with no vibration. Looking at the face of the plug, I don't think it was ever staked - at least on as cleanly and definitively as the one in the Common Motor video. (See image below, please forgive the poor lighting.)

What would ya'll say the risk level is of not staking or using adhesive and relying on the press fit?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Looking closely at the first photo, I see a thin line at the 6:30 position, similar to what is shown on the CMC video. Not as deep, but there. Unless you left that mark with your brass drift tool.

Just curious - did you ask why they drove it out in the first place?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay. Anybody up for round 2?

What about this bolt? I looked through the fiche and can't find it. It's a flange bolt with an 8mm thread with a seemingly distinctive step up in the shank diameter. (image below)

Wood Finger Line Material property Gas

Also, this rubber cup?

Hand Gesture Finger Wood Nail

1 - 15 of 15 Posts