Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Tapped attachment point for steering damper......

·
Registered
589 Posts
Take a look at a picture of an SL350 K0 and you'll see how the damper is attached . . .

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
While the SL 350 will show the hydraulic damper, earlier CB and CL models had a factory friction damper built into the steering stem that also used that hole.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
While we're on the subject of steering dampers, was it an option or standard equipment on certain years? Reason for the question is my 71' CL450 has the same tapped hole for a damper, but I have no idea if that's just for commonality with CB triple trees or that the CL actually was equipped with one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dampers only appeared on earlier bikes. For example, the SL350 K0 had one, but it had been dropped for the K1/K2.

My guess is that the threaded hole was retained simply by virtue of it being a part of the original molds/casts, and it would have been referred to on later bikes as a 'feature' (so you could attach your own damper). Of the various bikes I've got from '66 to '72, all had the threaded holes, but only the SL and the CL77 came with factory dampers that mount to those holes.

Maybe it's coincidence that the bikes supplied with factory dampers were pre-'70.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Through US CB450 K2, friction damper was standard.
When the disk brake appeared on US CB K3, damper was eliminated.
Steve (a long time ago, when we'd just started this place) built me a 450 stem welded into a 360 lower clamp, so I have the friction damper on my (what used to be) a K4 disk brake model.
I LOVE it...........I can fine tune the steering at any time with a couple of clicks, just like the old days an my K2's.
Thanks again Steve.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
While the SL 350 will show the hydraulic damper, earlier CB and CL models had a factory friction damper built into the steering stem that also used that hole.....
My '69 CL350 has the friction damper that goes through the steering stem. It doesn't use the threaded hole in the lower tree.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How difficult would it be ( besides finding the funds) to add a friction type damper on a CL450 since it looks like only the CB came with them. Is it as simple as changing the top nut and installing the damper assembly or does the steering stem need to be replaced with one from a CB?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
JCW, the stem necessary for the friction damper has a short, solid cylindrical projection with a wide slot milled in it extending below the bracket.....

IF you have that, yes, it is just a matter of adding the rest of the parts ..... IF not, a stem swap (fairly easy) is involved.....

However, as the friction damper parts are becoming rarer and expensive, it may be easier to use a modern hydraulic damper.....

Please phone to discuss either option.......

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
SO true...and the rust is getting worse......

I'll probably HAVE to quit posting at the 25,000 mark..........;)

Only 127 left to go............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts