Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to identify all the brackets I need to shave from my frame. Have no idea what this bracket up by the neck is for. Nothing was attached to it. I seems to brace the neck somewhat, I'm wondering if I should weld a brace in there if I do remove the bracket. I also wonder why it is offset to one side? It is welded to the fork stop on one side, but I don't think it brace the neck or the forkstop at all.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That assembly is both part of the steering damper mounting, and is an attachment point for "crash-bars"...........Yes, it helps "stiffen" the neck........

·
Registered
275 Posts
I always thought the "pipe" was Honda's effort to provide egg laying locations for insects. Everyone I have has been used for that purpose.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You can see it clearly on this photo of a Police Special.
Back in The Day, crash bars tended to be humungous, especially on the P models, which had sirens and other crap mounted to them....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consider it gone!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's gone! Makes the neck look alot cleaner I think. I doubt it'll weaken the front end, but I can always weld a much smaller brace in it's place later, before powdercoating.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Rewelding will risk warping/tweaking the "roundness" of the cup that holds the steering race, and also the neck alignment (unless you re-jig it before welding).....Plus, you can no longer mount the stock steering damper.....Now that it's gone, you might be better off just leaving it gone.... I would have simply carefully excised the visually offending areas or left it on..... JMHO... Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it'll be fine without it. It's certainlty not gonna suddenly break off and lose the front end. Also, I'm not gonna be doing any canyon carving or hard twisty riding on this thing, so I'm not worried about the frame flexing. I doubt that bracket contributed much to the integrity of the frame. I'm sure it was more of a add-on for the steering damper and crash bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts