Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to finish up on my 1973 CB350. The points cover has a dent in it from a fall before I got it . I had issues with the points on that side and believe there was some arcing to the ignition point cover. The inside of the cover has some sort of insulating covering applied. What is it? Secondly, there was not a gasket on the cover but there was some bluish seal a gasket crap on the cover before I replaced the points. Gasket or no gasket?? Do the points arc out onto the cover commonly?? THX Ghawkman

·
Registered
892 Posts
Gasket yes.

I use a clear silicone to fill in any spots on the cover. Yes it is common especially if the wires aren't installed properly on the points.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The best solution to the factory coating inside the points cover is the rattle can spray undercoating sold by auto parts stores.
It will give you a failry thick tar based coating that will insulate the cover from a wire that might make contact.

Although the BEST solution is to simply make sure the wires are well away from the cover plate to begin with.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I've wondered if plasti-dip would hold up to the heat. Running 2 gaskets instead of 1 might help, too. Mine is fine, but I have had the problem before - there's not a lot of clearance with those points connections at the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts