Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get an electronic ignition fairly quickly and I not sure which brand is the best. I know there has been a lot of discussion about this and was wondering if there are any updates. It doesn't look like the pamco are in stock.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
.. all the electronic ignitions have good and bad points. I just suggest you give the system it's best chance for survival and longevity.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike runs fine on points, I am just trying to eliminate future problems when I go to start the bike after it has been sitting for awhile. I have never been that good at working on points.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Boyer Bransden kit 293.

Comes with coils, leads and caps also does away with mechanical advance/retard.

Had mine on over a year and it's spot on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is just my two cents, so take it or leave it. I have had dozens of bikes since I started riding around 1970. Probably about ninety percent had standard points ignition and the other ten percent factory electronic of some sort or the other. Anyhow, all of the bikes ran great for more miles than I can remember. There is nothing wrong with points. They are cheap. They are simple. They are dependable. If you can't set up a points ignition, then you might also have trouble setting up an electronic ignition. PLEASE, understand that I am not trying to sound preachy or demeaning. I am just saying take a little time and get the stock setup working and you will be very happy. On my current street bike, a 1969 CL350, I last adjusted the points and timing about 5,000 miles ago and it runs flawlessly. As for aftermarket ignition systems, I know a lot of people run them with no problems, and love them to death. But you can also go on different forums and find all sorts of people that have problems with them. Just search these forums. My guess is that they are not really knowledgeable enough, and that it is not the fault of the system, but who knows. And for the cost of the systems, I could probably buy enough gas to drive a couple thousand miles !!!!!!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I used to run with a PAMCO and it was great while it was working, but as with all things electronic, e-ignition systems are very sensitive and susceptible to the environment. They work great until they don't and when they break they break without any warning signs and often leave you stranded. I did like how easy my bike started and and awesome throttle response using the PAMCO, now if Pete could just make them more resilient :)

I now run with points and the bike usually starts after 2 kicks or so. No biggie. And I know the points won't leave me stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pamco sucks balls, plain and simple. My pamco ignition died on my way to work one morning after 6k miles. Was about 4 months, well within the 1 year supposed warranty. Pamco Pete wouldn't replace it or refund my money. He wouldn't even retutn my emails ince I sent him the receipt with time and day if purchase. Went back to points and have never had an issue. Part of owning an old machine whether it be a bike or car is tinkering and workimg on them. Get whatever you want but I wouldn't even consider pamco. Maybe try riding your bike more often and not letting it sit.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
HSF..regarding your Pamco, was it a newer electronic advance unit? And was it recently that you tried to get a hold of Pete? Did you try to diagnose the issue?.. i reposted a troubleshooting page in another thread. I did some research on Pamco prior to purchasing, and did discover some physical aspects that could use improvement (minor), but may add in the longevity of the unit. There was a slew of issues with the fist version that used the factory advance unit..
Since the newest version, I have not seen as many "issues" or failures (mostly solder connections from vibrations) or install issues.. to say "Pamco sucks"... would be an extreme.. YES, customer service could use major improvement. Just remeber Pete is one guy, his business is small... Looking at all the aftermarket ignitions, Pamco (IMO) is a fairly safe bet.
If memory serves recently Pete had been contacted and issues are being corrected.. do a search, take a look .. maybe you can get things rectified .. worst case, not.
Keep us posted.. I'm curious..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, newer with electronic advance. I say Pamco sucks because I contacted him about the failure. He emailed me and asked me when I bought it and who did I buy it through. I gave him the purchase date and told him I bought it directly from him. After that, all I got was crickets. He didn't honor his warranty so yeah, I can say he sucks. Threw his junk in the garbage and put points in.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Honestly .. I'm sad to hear that..
I do remember him staring at one point he wasn't receiving or having e-mail issues.. I know you said you trashed the unit.. shoot another email out to him.. worst case, noting happens...

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
4 years and 2000 combined miles on PAMCO's with no problems. People with problems are heard the most even though it is a small number compared to units sold.
Too bad you threw it away, as a former electronics/avionics technician I would love to have checked it out.

It would be great if several "bad" PAMCO's were sent to me, I could see if there was a common failure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
4 years and only 2,000 miles? That's not really saying much. I had around 6,000 in 4 months. Yeah, I threw it in the garbage, took a picture of it in the bottom of the can and sent a picture of it to ol Pete. Told him it was right where it belonged, in the garbage. I build hotrods/customs and motorcycles professionally. I understand parts and equipment failure. I don't understand not backing your product though.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I know hind sight is 20/20... IF mine goes tits-up, and I can't see (visually) what the failure is.. AND if I got no response (e-mail) regarding warrenty (if it is still good)...
Sending it back with a note saying "shove this ..." I think would have gotten atleast a response..
I have recently discovered e-mail isn't always a garentee delivery.. just like normal "snail mail"...but sent with "certified" signiture.. you would atleast get "garenteed" satisfaction ... or possibly .. restitution ..
You said you build hot rods and custom bikes...I've been looking at Fi-tech EFI.. a lot of good info and a lot of complaints...if I got a system.. and it failed... I would bet, if I got no response, it would get sent back (certified) .. so if I decided to follow through I would have a little more than a photo of the system in the bottom of a trash can.
YES, accompany should stand behind their product.. but you as a consumer should make every effort to confirm the company knows of the issue..
No response doesn't mean your being pushed asside,. Recieving "sorry we can't help...." is another story..
In my line of work.. I have learned there is ALWAYS two sides to every story...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My side is I bought am ignition with a 1 year warranty and it failed in 4 months. The manufacturer if the ignition didn't honor the warranty so it went in the garbage, haha.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I also had a pamco and it was working great until it didn't. I reached out to Pete and was courteous and patient with him and he refunded me entirely for the unit. I really wanted an exchange for another but he didn't have one in stock at the time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts