Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the simplest most reliable electronic ignition to use on a CB450 K7?
I've about had it [email protected]#$%^g around with these (new) points that mock me at every attempt...
Are the Dyna ones good?
I'm going to run these points over with the bike I tore them out of... :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
just bought boretech, let you know when i get it on.. 4 bills, but no more advancer or parts modification like the dyna..

·
Registered
363 Posts
ok, just found my helmet cam, Ill take her out for a zip. got to find a 1.8" plug for my starter hole, that was good for 7 pounds. going to throw it on a truck scale at work, its only good for +- 5 pounds, but ill have some idea where I'm at..

·
Registered
275 Posts
ihatespeed said:
ok, just found my helmet cam, Ill take her out for a zip. got to find a 1.8" plug for my starter hole, that was good for 7 pounds. going to throw it on a truck scale at work, its only good for +- 5 pounds, but ill have some idea where I'm at..

I just used a rubber freeze plug of the correct diameter. I tried installing it from the inside but, the plug washer was just a hair too big. Ended up installing it from the outside. Because it's a race bike I had to safety wire it. I'd strongly recommend safety wiring it no matter what.
I bought an aluminum one with a built in vent off E-bay. Looked slick as snot but it was way too small.
So far, nine 20 minute track sessions and 1 "race" and nary a drop or sign of it working it's way out.
I cranked the Sh-- out of it though!! So much that the washers were just starting to bend.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
l5cygx said:
For the money nothing comes close to the Dyna and the mods to fit are very simple. ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got a bearing dust cap 1 25/32" perhaps pretty close to the 1.180 I measured, it tapped in nice and snug and I put a bead of hi temp rtv to seal/ glue it in.. so far so good, shows no sign ove moving or leaking, I think I will make one simmilar to the capalini moto plug eventually, either that or buy their trick oil cooler that mounts where the started was..

has anyone seen the oil fill plug cooler? do they actually work?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Oil dipstick cooler thingy - I seriously doubt they do any good whatsoever but if you like the look (I bought one because I like the look myself) then run one. It certainly can't hurt anything...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts
hmmmmm, i just rebuilt the hubs on my trailer too! thanks for the tip :)
danWI

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
otr002 said:
l5cygx said:
For the money nothing comes close to the Dyna and the mods to fit are very simple. ;)
Thanks Rod, do you have a favorite suplier, and a part/model# for the Dyna to fit a '74 CB450...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have to admit, $150.00 VS Bore Techs $389.00 is a huge difference.

For me, the decision was made based on, not only the "bolt on" aspect, but also the fact that it gets rid of the mechanical advance by providing a programmable electronic advance curve. It also incorporates a rev limiter and a port for an electronic tach.
Bore Tech claims this is a "set it and forget it" bolt on operation that should take less than 30 minutes.
When I asked other AHRMA racers, Bore Tech was the only response I got except for one fellow that made his own and wanted $402.00 (402??-- I didn't ask how he came up with that price).

FWIW, here's the response I got when I inquired a few months back:

Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Unfortunately, we do not
offer an ignition system for this model at this time. I might suggest calling
Charlie's Place in San Francisco, California, at 3084 17th Street and (415)
255-0316 as I understand they offer a custom version of our Dyna S ignition
system for these older Honda twins. If we can be of any further assistance,
please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thank you,
Scott Valentine
Customer Service
Dynatek

1-800-928-DYNA (3962)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
l5cygx said:
otr002 said:
l5cygx said:
Thanks Rod, do you have a favorite suplier, and a part/model# for the Dyna to fit a '74 CB450...
I have added another version of the mod originally submitted to the old CB450 NSM site and re-written by myself a few years ago.
[attachment=0:bllzm86f]450 Ignition.pdf[/attachment:bllzm86f]

$125 from Z1. ;)
http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=438

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
WOZERD said:
I have to admit, $150.00 VS Bore Techs $389.00 is a huge difference.

For me, the decision was made based on, not only the "bolt on" aspect, but also the fact that it gets rid of the mechanical advance by providing a programmable electronic advance curve. It also incorporates a rev limiter and a port for an electronic tach.
Bore Tech claims this is a "set it and forget it" bolt on operation that should take less than 30 minutes.
When I asked other AHRMA racers, Bore Tech was the only response I got except for one fellow that made his own and wanted $402.00 (402??-- I didn't ask how he came up with that price).

We went through the process of getting Dyna to build a CB450 Ignition on the old NSM site, I think the Paul AKA "the dinosaur the roars" was the main leader, what we got was a deafening NO :?

The dyna is still the best value for the money for people that don't race/sprint or have a heavily modified motor (a rebore and port job is not heavily modified) the main reason is that it is simple and easily installed and once set it is just like the BoreTech units "set and forget". Servicing the bob weights is just like any other part of these old bikes, simple and easily done with a little patience and plaining, NOS one do come up for sale on the Bay but still need to be striped and cleaned of the protective oil and checked for function before installation ;)

Don't get me wrong, the bore tech units are fantastic, well built, reliable and readily available. I build my own units and will one day write a how to for this group as the process can be as expensive or as cheep as you like :) But for my daily bike i run Dyna's as i can't build the unit for what they sell for.
I have seen them on EvilBay for under $100 second hand and as with most modern electronics they either work or don't and the ones that don't usually have been mistreated/abused by muttenheads :x

·
Registered
363 Posts
threw the ignition on yesterday, its definitely alive, I have to find a timing light before I can fully adjust it, but initial results are good. it seems to start easier and throttle response is snappier. I think my bob weights were worn enough so the advancer was actually retarded past the punch marks at rest, and the cam surface was pretty beat up. searching for a nos advancer makes it a little easier to justify the boretech :roll: the ignition was very easy to install and static time its a little tricky to fit the pickup plate with out the spacer shifting or falling out

today, I set the timing with a strobe, advance is very smooth and even and it definitely starts better, bike runs like a champ pulling smooth and even right up to 8 or 9 grand. I'll get some video tomorrow riding it around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ihatespeed said:
threw the ignition on yesterday, its definitely alive, I have to find a timing light before I can fully adjust it, but initial results are good. it seems to start easier and throttle response is snappier. I think my bob weights were worn enough so the advancer was actually retarded past the punch marks at rest, and the cam surface was pretty beat up. searching for a nos advancer makes it a little easier to justify the boretech :roll: the ignition was very easy to install and static time its a little tricky to fit the pickup plate with out the spacer shifting or falling out

today, I set the timing with a strobe, advance is very smooth and even and it definitely starts better, bike runs like a champ pulling smooth and even right up to 8 or 9 grand. I'll get some video tomorrow riding it around.
Definately post a vid. I too am considering the boretech. Too bad he doesnt give a discount but then again when we were all on the MSN site his system was advertised. He said thats why we got it at that time but i am sure you folks already know that.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
ihatespeed said:
Yep an't that a lovely thing, no more point float :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
assembling my boretech kit tonight and will attempt to install it when i go to Columbus tomorrow morn. I too will be glad to get rid of the points mech. If i dont get to do it tomorrow i will definately do it next weekend. Tomorrow is my goal because Vintage Moto Days are next weekend at Mid Ohio. Would love to ride my bike up there. So keeping fingers crossed.

Oh yeah will try to do a vid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
update: Well may not make Vintage Days but may surely finish install this coming weekend and possibly make the vin moto night on Monday. I did take a few pics but i do not want to post them until i am completely finished installing. So far its been pretty simply. The only thing that may hold you up is putting the wrong wire in the wrong spot on the connector and having to wait til you get ahold of removal tool described in the instructions "COUGH! COUGH" no comment about that issue....lol but.....will also try and video. It was smoking hot out at the storage shed working on that thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.