Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 71 CL450 and have been going back and forth between putting it back to stock or leaving it is as a chopper what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
just my thoughts....i love it, i miss some of my choppers, had a 74 cb750 chop 70's cb450 chop and a bonnie chop.... i really miss the cb750 chopper but you have to like that style of bike.

·
Registered
363 Posts
well, I suppose it all depends on where your interest lies, in looks, function or comfort. for me its all about function followed by comfort with style bringing the rear.
your results may vary ;)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I think you should follow your heart on this one as it is your bike.

Period Honda choppers and cafe bikes are in my eyes also an important piece of Honda history. In the same way that you nowdays can see old hot rods on vintage car shows they have earned their place.
Here in Sweden almost all vintage Honda people are almost religous about keeping their bikes original but as there are a limited number of colors available for each model the long rows of similar bikes on the runs gets boring after a while.

On a run not far from where I live this summer a guy turned up on a 450 chopper and he got a lot of attention.

Long rows of 750's.
[attachment=1:35q3lf2p]SSA50090-1024.jpg[/attachment:35q3lf2p]

One of a kind.
[attachment=0:35q3lf2p]SSA50068-1024.jpg[/attachment:35q3lf2p]

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
First, let me say I don't think I've ever owned a "stock" bike (past the warranty period) in my life.... That being said, I think you should decide for yourself, based on how you will use the bike... (Form follows function).... Secondly, THAT is NOT a chopper...Its a "bolt-on" custom that has chopper influence (the frame wasn't cut and altered ie "chopped")..... Since either option would require significant outlay of funds to achieve, you may just want to get it to a rideable, dependable state first, then decide how to finish it..... JMHO.... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The shops I worked at back in The Day wouldn't work on bikes like that.
The lack of a centerstand makes them a bitch to work on - and the "Flop-o-Matic" front ends made them downright scary to test ride.....

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Scout... E-mail me about the DLS brakes.... Steve

·
Registered
101 Posts
stangnutz, Based on the amount of corrosion/rust etc, I'd be tempted to nuke and pave. Meaning, with all that chrome (forks, sissy bar, handle bars, etc) it would be rather expensive to refurbish those items. However, considering the cost of obtaining a workable fuel tank, forks and other "stock" items, it's going to be spendy no matter how you look at it; that is of course, assuming you are starting from scratch and don't have a supply of the necessary parts on hand already. I see motor, frame, title as being the core consideration... and a thick wallet either way. Of course, it's a personal preference of what the bike is telling you. :p

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
:p RATBIKE :p .....you know gotta gotta.... :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I am going to try and find the stock pieces and make it so my wife can ride it. I figure if I can pick up parts here and there I can get it back together so it can hit the road again. So if you know of anyone looking for a king/queen seat, a sissy bar and that frontend send them my way. By the way what would you call that front suspension.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Here's the scarey part...That IS a stock front end (essentially).....It was simply reassembled with "overstock length" tubes, and stripped-of/missing the stock covers, light, etc........All you need are the correct tubes and the missing "trim" and other parts.....New tubes alone run from $200 to $400 for the pair, plus you'll need new seals ........

·
Registered
439 Posts
stangnutz, now that I found your original post, I see what your working with. I'm sure we can work out a sweet running bike from this current assortment of parts! I'll contact my "chooper-buddies" about the tank seat, footbar, etal. Keep in touch and good to meet you, danWI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts