Honda Twins banner

61 - 80 of 1489 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I finally had a chance to bring the bike to Circle Cycle, Ridgefield, NJ this past Tuesday, the 7th..

Got the call from them Saturday the 11th that it's done.

I had them :

Fix the throttle which about 10 days before started severely sticking, like cruise control, and no return except by twist with wrist.

Somehow, the actual linkage between the carbs got bent and it took them several hours to remove the carbs
and re-align and bend back the pieces. All the cables were secured properly, routed and tightened.

(I got new push and pull cables last year and installed them myself last year)

The carbs were synchronized.

Had the valves, timing chain and balancer shaft chains adjusted.
I brought them new valve cover grommets, valve cover gasket and r/s clutch cover gasket.

Oil ( Golden Spectro 10W-40 Oil) & filter (Fram) were changed with new filter housing & bolt O-rings.

Had 2 new spark plugs installed and compression taken (180psi each side - nice)

New fuel line and filter. Also cleaned the screen in the fuel tank.

Checked the battery level where they noticed the negative side nut was missing for the cable.
(I put the new battery in myself in April. Thought the nut was snug, but apparently, not enough!)

They re-adjusted the new steering head bearings they installed in April.
Also, lowered the headlight aim a few degrees so it would give better illumination of the road on high beam.

Greased the swing arm pivot.

Also had them give it the once over and they suggested as before, new tires, chain and sprockets and new carb intake boots as they
are starting to deteriorate with some signs of a little cracking (gosh, wish they would have told me that when the carbs were off so they could do that at the same time).
I would have been willing to wait for them to be ordered and received and installed but they "dressed it up" with a light smear of silicone RTV on the outside.

Cost me $653 but well worth it.

When I took it home last night, It ran a lot smoother and quieter. It revved more evenly and quickly.
The power is now directly proportional to the position of the throttle.

Power builds more progressively. It was not bad before, but it's even better now.
Previously, my top speed was around 91 or so, but now it pulls redline in 5th and got it up to 103 (indicated) on RT 80.

A slight mild wobble at that speed, but I'm confident that new tires will correct that.

So, with new tires, (to be taken off my HondaMatic) New Michelin's mounted and balanced on the wheels already,
all I will need are a set of new sprockets and chain, and ALL will be set for long term.

Over the winter, I will likely pull the clutch and stator covers and the valve cover off
and send them out to be polished and clear coated. (cosmetic purpose only)

At the same time, I will order a set of carb manifolds and O-rings and have them replace them.

So, as of now, I have a grand total of $3799 invested into it. (including original purchase and transporting it back, a little over 1 year ago to the day)

But not including title, registration, plates and insurance which BTW runs me $225 for the year
(liability only, not full coverage from Progressive)

Reactions: bradalden

·
Registered
149 Posts
This weekend I installed a temporary trip computer to help with my speedometer error. I drove past one of those “your speed is” signs last week and noticed mine was reading low. I had an old Garmin eMAP (obsoleted years ago by smartphones and Google maps) in a drawer. I made a simple hardwood clamp for the handlebar support on the CL, and attached the gadget with heavy duty Velcro. It was kind of cool merging technology from different decades. I’ll yank it off as soon as I create a RPM vs speed chart for myself.

Brad

Garmin.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Put acetone back in the 450K6 tank, found more kreeme in it. That stuff is like herpes, it keeps coming back.
The derusting came out good.
20150726_142105.jpg 20150726_142126.jpg 20150726_142136.jpg 20150726_142147.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I think it makes a huge difference in preventing wind blast to the torso at highway speeds. I live in Texas and, due to the high temps, I wanted to eliminate most of the wind blast but keep the wind moving past my helmet for cooling. This windshield does exactly what I hoped it would do!

It is a It was a National F-16 sport windshield from Amazon priced at ~$100.
http://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-F-16-Sport-Windshield/dp/B000GRQNSK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438616921&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=f16+wind+sheild

Hey Seisdatex,

How big a difference does the wind screen make? Cost/where'd you get it too please and thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Got the new throttle cable installed on the 450, properly routed thanks to one of 66Sprint's older posts and gritsak providing the link to me.

Now I wait for the acetone to do it's job on getting the kreeme out of the tank, I hope I don't get it on the original paint.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Over the past week or two, I rejetted the carbs...

...polished the aluminum top tree, controls, and levers...

...and watched the odometer turn over 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Tore into one of the 450's. The one that sat exposed outside with all the oil drained for over a year. I've had it soaking in penetrant for six months , so finally tore into it. Head bolts were seized in the case, pistons partially stuck in the lower bores. Countershaft sprocket seized on the shaft, etc. Everything is reluctant to co-operate.......LOL

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
No tags, no helmet, no insurance, wife nagging me to get in the house, just like my Mother.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I have Georgia tags on it but I need to go through a bunch of boxes to find the title to get Tennessee tags. My wife for some reason scatters things. I tagged all of the other bikes.

I was in the garage and it was peaceful until I went in the house to get some water. I need to get the garage heated and air conditioned. I will have the refrigerator in it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
No tags, no helmet, no insurance, wife nagging me to get in the house, just like my Mother.
The first ride on my '69 CL350 cafe after I got it running for the first time in over 20 years...no helmet, wearing shorts, no tag, no insurance, no tail or brake light, unfinished seat, almost no mufflers, going over twice the speed limit, my wife filming (video link below)...ha ha

http://vid28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/rotcorp52/Honda 350/BE8C43B8-1FCE-4E9B-A77A-1380742FEAA7.mp4

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I've lived there for 30 years, but yes, a cop lives on the next block down the street. I rode it up the block one more time and then parked it so I wouldn't get the neighbors too upset.

61 - 80 of 1489 Posts