Honda Twins banner

41 - 60 of 1489 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Got the carbs adjusted on the 500T and went for a ride, ran smoothly but I need to check the timing and advance on the PAMCO's, it seemed a little low on power and still runs rich.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The 500T- rode it, in between rain showers.

The 450K6- got the R&R upgrade done, works great. Started putting the front brake system back together. Got the original handle bars back on, had to replace the right controls, all cables cleaned and lubed, what a big difference.
What is used to flare the hinge pin when changing fuel caps?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Except for some further aluminum polishing, I finished the old cafe resurrection this weekend. Looks good, runs good... Here's a pic from yesterday.

1969 Honda CL350 cafe racer at a Greek cafe...;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I finally found an old seat for my CM450C, it was from a CM400. I cut down the foam and finished with a wood rasp. I got the vinyl on ebay and made the cover. I can now ride it with my knees not in my armpits. CM450Cnewseat.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
A couple of weeks ago:
Welded my broken power chamber and put the bike back together. Did a final check on all adjusters and finally started it for the first time since rebuild! Diagnosed my grinding kick start issue and adjusted the stop plate for the wear and all is good. You can see the worn spot in the pic

IMG_0646.JPG

Last week:
Got a new rear tire and ran it around the block a couple of times and changed the oil. Replaced the torn seat cover with a used one that is in much better shape.

This week:
Took it for a couple of rides around town but I am having some issues with the idle when hot so last night I took it back apart to diagnose. PALM TO FOREHEAD! Anyhow it is running so much better that it ever did! I ordered new air cuts and jets for my altitude and should be putting them in this weekend.

Thanks for all of the help guys! Next week could be paint.

IMG_0659.JPG

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ran my CL to Whrightwood, CA. Through Angeles Crest CA2 round trip 150 miles it was awesome! Next weekend Ojai the mighty 33!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, as of two weeks ago my 1982 Honda CM450C, Valerie, had stopped running after replacing her bent handlebars. So over the weekend I finally got all of the parts I needed and replaced the ignition coil, wires and plugs. Changed the oil and replaced the oil filter. and replaced the gaskets that where allowing oil to leak out of the clutch cover. So today I got to take Val home from my father in laws house and it was so good feeling the wind in my face. I have to adjust the clutch free play now to get her fine tuned and will have to rebuild the carbs to solve my flooding and gas in oil problem but today she ran. A step in the right direction and a damn good day.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Been riding the 500T to work.
Just got the front brake caliper body from SCI, $77.52 including shipping. I just have it back on the road this weekend but I still need to evaporust the tank, adjust and balance the carbs. I think that is all.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Good for you, Perry. I just can't get past the rear in the air look of the new bikes. Looks like a real performer though and it looks like one could ride it sitting upright. Best I've seen yet. I'll bet it's loaded with power with 4 valves per cyl and dohc and fi through 34mm throttle bodies. Enjoy, bro. I'm a little jealous....LOL

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Yeah, its an upright seating position, first street bike I've ever had like that, handles highways miles very easily. Very comfortable for longer rides, which is one of the reasons I picked it up. Also, it can handle dirt roads a bit better than my Gladius and I want to be able to take in some of the sites here in Newfoundland that are only accessible via gravel roads. Not as much power as my Suzuki's V-twin but you don't really seem to miss it, it makes up for it in other ways.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yeah, its an upright seating position, first street bike I've ever had like that, handles highways miles very easily. Very comfortable for longer rides, which is one of the reasons I picked it up.
It's got a decent-capacity fuel tank, probably make a decent tourer, especially when the roads aren't all pristine (or even paved)

Also, it can handle dirt roads a bit better than my Gladius and I want to be able to take in some of the sites here in Newfoundland that are only accessible via gravel roads. Not as much power as my Suzuki's V-twin but you don't really seem to miss it, it makes up for it in other ways.
It kind of looks like they melted the front and then bent it downwards, lol - but I bet you don't notice it from the seat and I'd be willing to guess that the ergonomics are quite good (and worlds above the lean-forwards-onto-your-hands sportbike posture). I read a couple reviews when I saw what you had purchased and the reviewers seemed to really like them.

One of the reviewers mentioned that a company in the UK called Rally Raid makes a set of adventure/off-road mods for your new motorcycle (and that there is a North American supplier):

Code:
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/these-mods-turn-the-honda-cb500x-into-the-adventure-bik-1703743250
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/honda-cb500x-off-road-kit/
Oddly, the kit/mods don't seem to address the front fender (which looks a bit close to the tire for off-roading). But, other than that, it looks pretty tough and capable with everything added.

I bet you'll have lots of fun-filled miles. Time to add your new motorcycle to your .SIG.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Tried to adjust carbs on 450, idle screw had no affect on rt carb, cleaned it out and started working good, now left carb doesn't return to idle stop on it's own, I'll pull the cable off tomorrow and see if it is cable or carb. I just lubed those cables also but they are old. Evaporusted the tank, not good enough for me so I will do it again tomorrow. Got frustrated and switched to installing, adjusting and syncing the carbs on the Sabre, will put it back together tomorrow for a run.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Congratulations, detroitmusicnotes!

Regards,

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Good for you, detroitmusicnotes. I'm sure dad is watching with proud eyes.

41 - 60 of 1489 Posts