Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 1489 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Well, in the past week I completed my CL450 rebuild but then had to...

- pull the motor
- remove all covers including cam block bearings
- remove clutch basket, oil pump and oil filter
- split the cases
- reassemble the motor
- put the motor back in the frame
- disassemble the tach & speedo, powdered coated the cases, reassembled and reinstalled
- installed CL450 header for the first time (good news is the left side air filter cover and air filter, carb and drive gear cover can be removed with the header in place)
- found out the starter clutch that I rebuilt is still FUBAR - I need to locate a good replacement starter gear
- Attempted first start after rebuild with no joy (a real head scratcher) - getting fuel/air and getting spark at right time but no pop.

better ask me next week :(

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Nothing, I'm still sulking about having to pull my Sabre carbs off again and worse, I put the BMW in the shop after I dumped it avoiding road debris.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was taking the bike for a run and noticed I had no brake lights. First stop was the fuse box, everything ok. Next stop was the tail light because I have customized the back end and thought maybe a connection had come loose, everything ok. Next stop the headlight because that's where everything seems to start, everything ok. I finally narrow it down the brake petal switch. Three turns of the plastic adjustment nut and there was light. I missed a nice ride but it's fixed. CM450C new taillights.JPG

·
Banned
426 Posts
"Blue Jay" got the new kicker adjusted to sit right, Oil changed, chain tension adjusted, modified forward controls resoldered and tied in ([L]is 68? CB350 [R] is from totaled 83 Yamaha 550 Maxim Seca) all of the main loom jerked off and gone over with a fine tooth comb and reconstructed from taillight connections to the headlight bucket "NEST".

I have finally spied a decent '71 SL 175 K1 "Fart Can" (Muffler) on Ebay and I will be ordering in the next couple of Days.
I will also be getting a proper battery, since I can't ride with my shop system testing set up (wrong dimension battery with correct V/aH)

As soon as it arrives performing clean up, spot patch, repaint and install said fart can and the K0 chrome heatshield from the bikes original but decimated muffler.(1,500° Satin Charcoal Semi Metallic Black BBQ Grill paint--Overkill?, Maybe but it should do nicely)

All goes well I will get to ride, tune, and troubleshoot on the fly by next weekend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ordered new Mech Seal, Stator, Clutch Switch, Clutch Springs, Timing Chain, Gaskets, Oil Filter, And brake shoes to be 100% for upcoming Honda get together on the Olympic Peninsula.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
I finished up the paint work for the CB400T1. Yes, I know that's a T2 tank because the original was trashed and this was the closest fit I could find for a decent price. Had to wait awhile for the stripes to get made also. Now it's sitting and curing while I get the time to finish building the carbs.
GEDC2297.JPG GEDC2300.JPG GEDC2299.JPG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I meant to post these earlier, I also polished the spokes, They were very corroded and I was figuring that I'd need to re-lace everything, but they cleaned up with some Hollywood's and a powerball, I need to check my camera for better pix, but it only took a few minutes per wheel..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Evaporusted my tank, it took 4 days but I was suprised by how well it worked! Replaced the petcock and fuel lines, rode it to work!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The bike was running a little off and the bowls just wouldn't quit weeping... I decided to give it a little lovin' Set the floats, they were only a little off, but sure enough... I found that the gaskets were rubbing on the floats, trimmed them, no more leak. The points were too close together and the timing was retarded about 4 degrees, adjusted that then started from scratch on the carbs. Now she's purring like a kitten and no more embarassing leaks when she laughs too hard!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Balanced the carbs on the 500T at idle, noticed when I reved up, I had an imbalance, this is due to the fact that I did not adjust the throttle cables. Learn from my mistakes.
I also have not gotten any suggestions on it running rich, I am going to lower the needles and possibly look for new needles and seats.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Started in on cleaning up the handlebar controls on my 350. Most of the wiring seemed to be in pretty good shape with the exception of the starter button. It was literally hanging on by a thread, I've since fixed it. Only other issue is a missing horn button, but I think I have another control laying around that I can steal one off. Hope to finish these controls of sometime this week.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Finally got around to removing my vb21 carbs and repairing the mixture screw that the PO thought was holding the entire machine together. He , or another PO, apparently also tried to loosen it which just butchered the slot. I hacksawed a new slot in it by cutting through the boss that holds the screw, being careful to only go as deep as necessary. With a 'new' slot, and a GOOD screwdriver bit on my hand impact, it came out. Since it was not of much use after that, I 'borrowed' a set of mixture screws from a set of vb22's. They are longer at the end, but look identical at the 'business' end. My vb21's had #70 jets in them and it was running a little lean, so I 'borrowed' a set of #72's from the vb22's. Going to bench sync later today and put them on and see how they work.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed one of the Charlie's Place electronic ignition in my CB350 after my 2nd set of crappy Sudco condensers failed. I was running a jerryrigged set of Lucas (MGB) condensers as a stopgap. The Charlie's Place kit is relatively painless to install, although you have to do a bit more work if you're not running stock coils and have modified your harness a bit like I have.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I can't seem to update/edit my last post on this topic, so, using the mixture screws and jets from a vb22 in a vb21 works just fine. The bike now runs amazing.

21 - 40 of 1489 Posts