Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a garage queen. It has spent nearly its entire life in a semi-climate controlled area. 640 miles new. Two small scratches on the tank but otherwise appears perfect. But I am trying to find out whether the tires are original. They are Bridgestone's and I think they too are originals but I thought it was odd that Honda used Bridgestone's. Does anyone know what brand of tires were factory originals for a 1978 Hawk II with the Com Star rims?
Thanks..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Someone requested pics. These are all taken when I first got the bike home. Nothing was cleaned up. I put fuel in the tank...no leaks...but gas did leak out of the transfer tube linking the two carbs. I have pulled the carbs. Flange between the carb and engine is in perfect shape and the carb throat was clean as a whistle. Float bowls did have dried crud in the bottoms, presumably remnants of gas that evaporated over time. I am convinced this is a true 640 mile garage queen.
Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Vehicle
Tableware Hand tool Kitchen utensil Tool Cutlery
Automotive lighting Gas Glass Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a few pics of the tires. Besides the manufacturer's marks there are other markings. Some may be just inspection stamps but if anyone knows how to read the others I would appreciate the information.

Second, before removing the carbs (dried gas residue and shrunk gaskets) I read posts on how best to do it. Many seemed concerned about flange cracking or coming apart. Mine fortunately did not show any issues (a few pics attached) but the carbs were more than a job to remove. I was thinking about smearing some "red rubber grease" on the inside of the flange to make the carbs easier to install. This grease is made specifically to coat the rubber brake parts in older cars with wheel cylinders (remember those?) because it does not deteriorate the rubber. Has anyone tired this themselves?

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Light
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
93 Posts
View attachment 315226 View attachment 315227 View attachment 315228 View attachment 315229 View attachment 315230 View attachment 315231 View attachment 315232 View attachment 315233 View attachment 315234
Someone requested pics. These are all taken when I first got the bike home. Nothing was cleaned up. I put fuel in the tank...no leaks...but gas did leak out of the transfer tube linking the two carbs. I have pulled the carbs. Flange between the carb and engine is in perfect shape and the carb throat was clean as a whistle. Float bowls did have dried crud in the bottoms, presumably remnants of gas that evaporated over time. I am convinced this is a true 640 mile garage queen. View attachment 315234 View attachment 315233 View attachment 315232 View attachment 315231 View attachment 315230 View attachment 315229 View attachment 315228 View attachment 315227 View attachment 315226
Thanks so much for the overhead view with seat off. I just finished an orange 78 and the rear lights wiring routing was guessed at. BTW, I found an unused green female bullet ground that I left dangling from the main harness into the left side cover area. I wonder if yours has it, not shown in FSM wiring diagram, unlike the unused brown (taillight circuit) in the headlight bucket, which is shown on diagram. Perhaps for an add-on accessory. Do read Long distance Rider's sticky thread on VB carb rebuilding and be patient to clean the idle circuit. There is a tiny (0.4mm or less) passage about 10mm further in past the visible pressed in jet under the rubber plug. Cleaning this idle circuit is notorious for a redo due to poor idling. Nice cherry you got there, or perhaps blueberry. Also, sticker at rear fender and owner's man spec OEM tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks so much for the overhead view with seat off. I just finished an orange 78 and the rear lights wiring routing was guessed at. BTW, I found an unused green female bullet ground that I left dangling from the main harness into the left side cover area. I wonder if yours has it, not shown in FSM wiring diagram, unlike the unused brown (taillight circuit) in the headlight bucket, which is shown on diagram. Perhaps for an add-on accessory. Do read Long distance Rider's sticky thread on VB carb rebuilding and be patient to clean the idle circuit. There is a tiny (0.4mm or less) passage about 10mm further in past the visible pressed in jet under the rubber plug. Cleaning this idle circuit is notorious for a redo due to poor idling. Nice cherry you got there, or perhaps blueberry. Also, sticker at rear fender and owner's man spec OEM tires.
Yes I greased my carb boots and mount cables before seating carbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently acquired a garage queen. It has spent nearly its entire life in a semi-climate controlled area. 640 miles new. Two small scratches on the tank but otherwise appears perfect. But I am trying to find out whether the tires are original. They are Bridgestone's and I think they too are originals but I thought it was odd that Honda used Bridgestone's. Does anyone know what brand of tires were factory originals for a 1978 Hawk II with the Com Star rims?
Thanks..
MY 1978 CB400TII came with a 3.60-19 front and a 4.10-18 rear YOKOHAMA TIRES right out of the box!

Dallas Alford

1 - 15 of 15 Posts