Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to fit a complete EX250 front end on my CB200 project.
I have bought a 20-ton press and some nice die grinder bits (Thanks Steve :cool: )
I got the CB steering stem pressed out and was trying to press the EX stem out.
From the looks of the welds on the EX tree I figured it would be a breeze!
WWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I worked on the EX stem for 2 hours; now the stem is bent like Beckham! :lol: :lol:
I will be buying another EX steering stem, but I don't want to go through this crap again. :( :( :oops: :oops:
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..........probably a good thing it all turned out like it did.
After cooling off a bit I measured the differences between the two stems.
As it turns out the EX stem is about an inch longer (easy to remedy),
but the base of the EX stem is also about 3mm larger in diameter than the CB stem.
So now I need to either find another front end to use or adapt another stem that will fit.
Btw, the EX250 forks are 36mm. I'll get this figured out; just needed to vent. :oops:
There are several bikes that use 36mm forks, but they are either dirt bikes or
street bikes that are quite a bit longer than the 'lil Ninja forks.
Thanks for listening. :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Jim, As I understand this, you just need a tree set that will fit 36mm forks and can be fitted to the CB 200 neck... Correct?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Give me a couple days to dig and trial fit.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
66 is the man. Good luck and can't wait to hear the conclusion.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Hey Jim.... Any chance the 200 stem would press into the EX lower bridge inside the/a cut off "stub" of the EX stem? Now that the CB stem is "loose", it might be easy to turn it down a smidge to fit, press it in and reweld....Just a thought..... A normal ~1.5mm thick tube wall on the "old" EX stub would make it almost a perfect fit ....And you end up with the EX bridge (forks fit) and the CB stem (it fits the neck).......Or is this just too obvious (in my minds "picture") to work?.... Speaking of pix, got any of this project?.... Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve:
Thanks for the tips.
After thinking about it all day, I figure the best way to resolve this issue is to take my yet undelivered
EX steering stem to a machine shop and have them grind/press out the stem and replace it
with the CB200 stem, after of course, machining a collar to make up the difference in diameter
(3mm) between the smaller CB stem and the EX stem. (God I hope all this makes sense).
Then once I get the correct height of the CB stem determined I can have it welded all together.
I should be on my way then. :roll: :roll:
As far as progress pics, don't hold your breath. :mrgreen:
I will however, post a pic of the complete front end once it is all together.
As I learned from my Z1A project, get all the chassis issues figured out before you get the
engine rebuilt. It is better to have a completed chassis just sitting, collecting dust, than it is to have a
newly rebuilt engine just sitting around collecting dust (and rust)! :)
Pics won't be very far away. :cool:
Btw, look at this site that was posted on another forum I belong to.
They produce some VERY SEXY exhausts.
http://www.7thphaseinc.com/megaphones.html

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
That is what I was refering/alluding to, except I was hoping the CB200 stem would just press into the ground-off/cut-off part of the ex stem remaining in the bridge (that you already have)......No additional collar would be needed, but the original stem "stub" might need "bored' or reamed slightly, or the CB stem base turned down a bit to fit inside the EX stem remnant perfectly.... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
66Sprint said:
Jim, ....Any progress?.... Steve
Not yet Steve. Monday I am taking my EX stem and CB stem to a machine shop that
has done some work for me in the past.
I will offer them your suggestions (as well as what I want done) and see
what they come up with.
I'm sure they can get the job done. Then I'll just have to find
a welder that can weld a couple of spots on the bottom of the tree.
I'll be back. :mrgreen:
Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got the parts to the machinist and he can do what I need; only it will take a week to get it done. :(
Oh well, the brand new front rim I ordered came in the other day
BUT HE SHIPPED THE WRONG SIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll:
I sent an email stating the situation and he is going to send
me the correct rim today with the return postage for the other rim.
So all in all it looks like I won't be able to work on the little 200 until next weekend.
Thankfully I have three other projects that need some love too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another setback
I picked up my new and improved steering stem Saturday, but when I got home and tried to
install the bottom race (tapered bearings) onto the stem it wouldn't even
go past the top of the stem let alone fitting the bottom of the stem.
The bearing set I bought wasn't All Balls. The parts were labeled Pyramid Parts and I've
had them for several months now. I don't have a clue what ebayer I bought them from. :oops:
So now I have to wait another week to get the forks installed on the little CB.
CRAP!!!!!! I just know you guys are getting impatient waiting on pics of what I think will be
a very sweet suspension upgrade for the 200. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
We'll TRY to be patient, but the pics MUST come soon!....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
inline4 said:
Another setback
I picked up my new and improved steering stem Saturday, but when I got home and tried to
install the bottom race (tapered bearings) onto the stem it wouldn't even
go past the top of the stem let alone fitting the bottom of the stem.
I had exactly the same problem when I tried to put Pyramid bearings on my CB200.

I contacted the seller a number of times and got blown off by arrogant young pricks who insisted I didn't know what I was talking about - they told me that I had a CB200 B model, whatever that is ......

I finally had to start an action against them with EBay, and after several months got a refund - less the two way shipping charges.
So I ended up out of pocket, once again..........

Anyway, since all these old twins (well, almost all of them) use the same steering bearings, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the replacements are interchangeable.
Steve????

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I'm fairly certain the top races and stem nuts (hence threads ) are the same on the 175, 200, 350, 360, 450/500T, and the larger fours..... The 175 top cone is thicker (more height) but this is essentially just a built-in spacer washer.
However, the lower races on the 175/200 are smaller in inner diameter (roughly the same as a "normal" top), but larger in outer diameter (so you can't use top races), require fewer (18) balls and fit a thinner stem. ...Also, the outer race is an odd size, preventing swapping the lighter front end's races to a larger bike. Unfortunately, this also prevents swapping a heavier fork assembly's races, et al, to the smaller bike..... You almost have to swap stems.....
As far as the roller bearings, they do exist as many f-160 racers in the Northwest seem to use them

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here we go again:

Today I received the All Balls steering stem bearing set, and much to my chagrin they are the
same size as the set I got from Pyramid Parts. :?: :?:
I don't know what the heck is going on here but I will try to explain.
The pic shows the specs of the stem and the bearings.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
That SOUNDS like the set for a CM 200 (CM 185 Twinstar as well)..... Or virtually any CB/CL 100, CB/CL125, and even MY C-200 (90cc).....

I just verified with my verniers........and the STEM diameter sizes are correct for those bikes listed above (Not sure about the outside diameters of the "neck" 1/2 races as I don't have a spare set "loose".....)

You probably need to order the set for a CB/CL 175 to avoid the confusion....I just checked, and the 175 and 200 use the same original bearing part numbers....
Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts