Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting. Have a ‘75 Honda CB 500-T. Had it for a few years and never ride it. I paid to have it tuned up (new spark plugs/cables, rebuilt carburetor, oil change, etc). Love the cafe racer look but conflicted as I like the original look as well. I never have time or money which is why it has sat in my garage for so many years. Just bought a new battery so I can start to fix small issues like a sticky gear pedal and starting faster when cold cranking (kick start). Any advice is appreciated. I’ve been reading a few posts on some forums. Let’s see if I can ride by Halloween time.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome, you'll probably be riding sooner than that. You'll need a Factory Service Manual (someone will be along with a download)
Then there's a punchlist of items you'll need to look at on your bike. We like pictures and videos are great. So if you've got questions, adding pics to help communicate goes a long way.
You've come to the right place for non-judgemental help, encouragement and camaraderie, not to mention the smartassery.

Speaking of which, I can't resist:
"https://youtu.be/Oo9buo9Mtos"
Embedding removed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I vote original. The 500t is a rare bird. You can always make modifications that don't affect your ability to return to stock. Just please dont hack it to pieces. The service manual is available for download in the 450-500 section.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Generally I agree with bringing it back to a reliable, stock bike and logging some saddle time before thinking up some mods. While you're out riding is a good time to notice what you like and what you don't.

Function before form will keep costs down, there are inexpensive ways to remove rust and make parts presentable with rattle-can paint. Or keep the hard-earned patina and just make it a reliable ride.
Once you get some time in the wind you'll figure out quickly what your riding style is, then mod or stock upgrade from there.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smartassery!!! Looks like I’m in the right place. Just a quick update. Bought a new battery. Started it up today. Took a couple of tries but I was able to kickstart it. Rides just as I remember it. Fuel has been sitting in the tank so I will be draining that out. Anywys, thanks for the support. I look forward to reading and posting soon. I will post pics pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Looks like all it needs is some decals and handle bars to be stock. Great looking bike.

I would replace those tires, they look OLD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts