Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usually put the bike up on the center stand when parked and yesterday noticed that it was extremely difficult to lift the rear up.

Then I discovered this.

IMG_20190831_140605177.jpg
IMG_20190831_140601070.jpg

What do you all think? Fixable? Would a weld hold up?
I guess I could always source a used replacement but I rather not if this can be repaired.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Kinda looks like it was welded before, the welds on the cracked side don't appear the same as the other side... that said, I'd imagine a good weld would work fine. Can't say I've ever seen that happen though

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
That absolutely could be repaired by welding it. An easy fix once all the oil and paint is removed

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All cleaned up
IMG_20190831_171256432.jpg IMG_20190831_171304419.jpg IMG_20190831_171311408.jpg

When my buddy returns from his camping trip next week I'll have this welded up.
Thanks all for the comments.

·
Registered
220 Posts
looks like the break started on the edge of the "Heat Affected Zone", the border of where the metal turned cherry during the weld. the rounded crack parallel to the bead shows it.

IMG_20190831_171311408.jpg

this is the area most prone to cracking at some point since it's properties have been changed by the heat of welding.

IMG_20190831_171304419 (1).jpg

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
When I bought my 450 had the foot lever was off. I didn't have the original so I got a replacement from ebay.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I know I can get a replacement center stand on ebay easily enough. But given the failure, there's no guarantee that it won't happen again on the replacement stand as well since from what I can tell they are all welded the same.

I rather repair this one with additional reinforcement gusset to make it a lot stronger.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I've never seen a 350, 450 or 500T do that before... it may have had a history of the PO having the habit of rolling it backward and slamming the centerstand down to help them get it up onto the stand. I've seen plenty of people do that over the years, treating it like a Lambretta

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah me neither Tom. But I have seen a lot of "first" with this bike so nothing surprises me anymore.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I really like the look of a clean center stand on a clean bike. Sometimes it gets overlooked and left rusty.
You may have added a show-point or three cleaning yours up.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
To be honest, the ground-down part of that stand (not the crack) looks like a stand that's contacted the pavement on hard turns many times.
450's can be heeled over pretty far, and every one I've ever had showed that same center stand "damage".
Now admittedly I was an aggressive rider in my past.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest, the ground-down part of that stand (not the crack) looks like a stand that's contacted the pavement on hard turns many times.
450's can be heeled over pretty far, and every one I've ever had showed that same center stand "damage".
Now admittedly I was an aggressive rider in my past.
That's entirely possible also that the stand has been weakened from repeated contact with the pavement. Although I can say I have only done that a handful of times.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Sitting on it or kick starting it while on the stand is hard on the stand too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts