Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike for her maiden voyage, a nice little 30 mile loop around the lakefront - final touches were installing new points, static & dynamic timing, and then re-syncing the carbs. Realized I left the petcock on overnight, 12ish hours, and this morning it won't start for the life of me. I've drained the carb bowls, replaced the spark plugs (they were a little gas black, which no doubt I need to figure out), verified spark, and made sure the battery is topped up, but it's decided to stay in the garage today. Any ideas? I'm having one of those why-didn't-I-just-buy-a-working-bike moments :(

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Check the oil level. Open petcock can allow fuel to drain into motor. If oil smells like gas, change it, as engine damage from diluted oil will occur....
Battery charged? Kill switch in run? Wire may of come loose

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do - I don't think the oil smells like gas, but it might just be that the whole garage smells a little like gas :D I actually got it to fire after some more vigorous kicking, so that's good - ran it around for an hour or so, and aside from a little battery drainage, it's running OK. I think it's probably running rich though...just realized that the idle air screws are 3 turns out each. Something I need to dig into.

I might just go ahead and change the oil/retorque the head, it's 50 miles into a freshly rebuilt engine. Is that too soon or is that enough time to break it in?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Check and see if the AF screws didn't get loose, that the battery negative cable is solid to the frame and battery terminals are solid. Don't forget to check your choke make sure its off or on depending on starting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts