Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in shortening the posts that connect the lights to the frame. Maybe cutting them down to about half the length. I realize that the fronts change size part of the way down the post. Has anyone cut and re-threaded these to get the lights in a little closer to the bike? I will take a closer look at the bike later to see if I am overlooking anything.

EDIT: Added better description and pics.
The main idea of this project is to get the lights on the motorcycle closer to the fender. On the '76 Honda, they protrude out about 6-7 inches from the rear fender on a 1/2 inch diameter post.

Figure 1 shows the parts affected, disassembled.

Figure 2 shows the parts assembled. The rectangular grommet fits into the oval hole on the fender support bracket. The post then has the wire threaded through one of the grommet holes and a screw attaches the post to the bracket to support it. It is not a stable assembly. The grommets have degraded over time and I would like to remove them completely.

Figure 3 focuses on the bracket that I would like welded. I have two ideas of how the result can be accomplished:
Weld the entire oval hole closed and flat. Tap a threaded hole into this new piece and then cut and thread the corresonding post that is to be attached.
Weld a nut in place in the oval hole and fill in around it. That will allow the same post to be cut and threaded and screwed into the nut.

I am open to any suggestions that you may have to find a solution to this.

Figure 4 indicates where the post would be cut (about 1.5 - 2 inches from the light) and threaded to fit into the newly created threaded hole on the bracket. The piece to the left of my finger will be discarded.

The post is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump it up for ideas....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If I had to take a wild guess, then I'd say those turn signal stems couldn't be welded too easily. Like some sort of pot metal, alloy crap.. BUT, it may be possible...? I've been wrong before.. ;)

It might be easier to cut the stems and then thread them with a tap. Then double nut them to the oval hole or fill that oval hole and weld a nut to it for the stems to thread into...

Another option might be to only shorten the outside of each signals stem and simply bolt it back together where it clamps onto the stem...? It's been way too long since I've had one apart, so I can't be sure..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
If I had to take a wild guess, then I'd say those turn signal stems couldn't be welded too easily. Like some sort of pot metal, alloy crap.. BUT, it may be possible...? I've been wrong before.. ;)

It might be easier to cut the stems and then thread them with a tap. Then double nut them to the oval hole or fill that oval hole and weld a nut to it for the stems to thread into...
That is kinda what I was talking about.

Another option might be to only shorten the outside of each signals stem and simply bolt it back together where it clamps onto the stem...? It's been way too long since I've had one apart, so I can't be sure..
I have also thought of that
I just do not like the way the stems attach to the bike using the grommet setup.
A nicely tapped hole would make for a snug fit. Did I just type that?
:mrgreen:
You misunderstood. I do not want to have the stems welded. I want to get them threaded and screw them into the newly tapped hole in the bracket....like you said. If I was not clear, I apologize. Is doing it that way possible?

Would there be an issue with filling the oval with a small plate or a material and then tapping it? Would it be strong enough. As you can tell I am not a welder.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The bar that has the oval hole should be normal steel so it can be filled/welded easily. I'd just weld a metric nut to the backside of that oval hole for the signal stem to thread into, paint it all, and be done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As far as those rear stays go. Just cut them to length needed with a saw and clamp the signal back on. I did that on mine a couple years ago and have had no problems. The signals will still clamp securely to the non-splined part of the post just fine.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Rampage1967 said:
As far as those rear stays go. Just cut them to length needed with a saw and clamp the signal back on. I did that on mine a couple years ago and have had no problems. The signals will still clamp securely to the non-splined part of the post just fine.

I had already suggested looking into that that but he didn't seem to like the sound of it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts