Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I've been getting my '72 CL450 back on the road again after a 15-year break, and just last week started having issues with both the electric and kick starters. The electric starter will intermittently turn on randomly when I'm riding and I have to pull over and hit the kill switch to get it to stop. The first time it did this, I tried re-starting the bike using the kick starter, but the kick starter pedal had no resistance, it just went down without grabbing anything. I used the electric starter to get it running again, drove it home, but then the next day the kick starter worked normally. I took it for a ride again yesterday and the kick starter initially worked and the electric starter didn't come on during the ride, but then after parking it and trying a re-start, the kick starter had no resistance again and I had to use the electric starter to get it running. Any ideas?

I ordered a new solenoid for the electric starter, which I'm hoping will stop it from coming on randomly, and I've been charging the battery regularly with a battery tender...but I'm just kind of baffled by the intermittent ability to use the kick starter.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Did you have the clutch lever pulled in when you kicked it? The kick lever turns the transmission shaft so the clutch needs to be engaged to turn the engine. Next time the electric comes on lift up the seat and unplug the yellow/red wire at the solenoid. If that stops it look inside the handlebar switch for bare spots in the yellow/red wire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, come to think of it, one of the times I had the kick starter issue I had accidentally left the bike in 1st gear when I parked and didn't use the clutch while starting it later because I thought I was in neutral. I don't remember if I used the clutch or not the second time, but wouldn't that be the best fix, if the problem was just me?

I'll for sure check out the yellow/red wire in both spots. We've been having a lot of rain here lately and I wonder if moisture might have gotten into a bare spot and is messing up the connection somewhere along that wire. Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts