Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1973 CB450 has a weird shifting issue. When I shift into 3rd gear everything is fine unless I give it a lot of throttle. It then feels like it is skipping or jumping. If I don't grab a lot of throttle it is OK, if I shift into 4th not an issue. Could this be related to any of the parts on the clutch side or does it sound internal? I do not have any experience with shifting issues.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
If it pops in and out of gear under load it sounds like something internal. A bent shift fork and/or worn dogs on the gear.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Does it ever land in a false neutral? Has the transmission ever been taken out? I have heard of spacers being left out of 450 transmissions and causing problems like this. You might want to start with what J-T said. I would check the condition of the chain and sprockets too. If that is good then pull the right side cover and check out the shift linkage. The 450s are a little weak in this area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the front sprocket and chain, because they were both worn. No change. It does not pop out of gear or go into neutral. It just seams to skip. Would any of the parts on the right side under the clutch cause that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts